Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with a tough situation;dog's dying in my backyard

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PetaKane, Sep 3, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Help with a tough situation;dog\'s dying in my backyard

This isn't my pet or anything, so while I'm pretty sad about the whole deal, it's not gonna tear me apart. A friend of mine who raises pit bulls, and fights them by the way so he obviously doesn't love them, had a puppy that he neglected for a couple of days. Chained up in the backyard, I took my bolt cutters over there and took him home with me. That was yesterday, I took him for a ride with me and he was so happy. I even renamed him and gave him a redneck name instead of the fighting name he had been given. Well, today while I was at work, while he was in my little brothers care, he started vomiting blood, and chicken bones were in his feces. It turns out the next door neighbor where he was originally chained up fed him chicken scraps on occassion, but yesterday afternoon had fed him a whole chicken. The man had a heart, but obviously did not know what he was doing so I can't blame him. Believe me I would NEVER feed a dog chicken bones. Anyway, he's dying and I wanna be there with him when he goes. As insensitive as this sounds, I do have to work in the morning and my dad won't let me bring him into the house. I'd put him to sleep in a heartbeat if I had the funds to do so. He's been holding on breathing for hours, but he is not alert and has been very cold...sorry for rambling, but I need the advise of someone who know's more about animals. I can't say 'how can I kill him comfortably?', but what would you do if you were in my situation?

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Re: Help with a tough situation;dog\'s dying in my backyard

Our SPCA has a drop off kennel. It is just a kennel outside the building.. No one asks quistions.. You just shut the door behind you..

3. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Pete I feel for your situation I really do. Is there anyway at all you can call a vet and ask them if you can make payment arrangements? Even if all they can do for him is put him to sleep? I have animals and I have had emergencys. I have been able to make payments. It may take a few phone calls but Im sure you can find someone.

Maybe you can get someone to take him to the vet for you while you are at work?

If not then the aspca or the human society is a very good idea. If nothing more then can put him to sleep humanly.

Good luck to you, Im so sorry about this but at least you are there for the little guy.

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Man that sucks---as a hartfelt lover of animals and having to put (my favorite)anilmals/pets to sleep i know how you feel---It is kinda off the wall but if you know anyone who is a pharmicist they can get the drugs to put them to sleep----the last 3 animals we have had to put to sleep (all of old age) we have done it this way----it make is so much more conforting to THEM to be able to see you ther holding them. as much as it hurts sometimes it is better for THEM.

Off the subject---but is is just me or ----why is is so easy to watch the ER type show but when ever i flip through the channels and for whatever reason you stop on a Pet type ER and i get all teary eyed---i don't know but i just cant watch those shows.

5. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Well, thanks everybody. He died shortly after I posted. Me and my brothers and sister were with him comforting him when he passed. Then me and my brother Heath went and buried him behind my grandpa's house. I know what ya mean about the pet ER show's by the way. And the my favorite episode of Cops was one dedicated to K9's.

6. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Im sorry to hear that PetaKane. At least he had a really great car ride and some time where he was loved before he left you. Im sure that ment everything to him. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. NEOMASTINO2U

NEOMASTINO2U 1/2 ton status

i am sorry to hear that, i rescue dogs all time and most have been neglected or abused, some we have even had to put to sleep because they have been trained to fight, if your neighbor has anymore of these dogs please call the shelter in your area to come get them before anymore die or they get out and hurt someone, this is how these breeds get a bad reputation! i don't mean to sound all snotty about this but i have raised and rescued rotties and neapolitan mastiffs and pit bulls they are great dogs in the right home, but it tears me up when they are turned into fighters i just want to slap the people that do this, or tie them up to the back of my truck and drag them behind while i am 4 wheelin so at least they can feel a little of what these poor animals feel! any way you did a great thing by taking him and showing him that at least someone in this world loved him and at least he got to see people that cared before he died and he didn't die in a fight, you are a good person for doing what you did i wish there were more of you out there!
    kelly

8. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I wanna slap the guy who owned that poor puppy!

Dude..please knock some sense into your freind! Animals are a responsibility! Gawd I hate it when animals are neglected!!!!!!

9. highwaydevil

highwaydevil 1/2 ton status

If it was my "Friend", I'd turn him in to the Humane Society. I don't need friends like that.

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Man, that's a terrible situation. But feel good that you gave that dog a nice time before he passed.

11. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

DITTO! You don't raise an animal for fighting. PERIOD! I can watch boxing or most other fighting sports because I know the people there are doing it by their own choice. Animals don't have that choice. I can garuantee that someday, one of his dogs will turn on him and then he'll regret it. He'll probably be missing a big ol' chunk of flesh, but then he'll be getting his just desserts.....

12. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Way cool on the pet rescue! We did that too for awhile. We had to stop because I was getting too attached to the dogs. Hurt too damn much and pissed me off big time what some "owners" were doing to the poor creatures. I just about beat the ever livin' shite outa a guy when his neighbor called the cops for animal abuse and they called me to take the pooch from the vets. The dog had so many broken bones you couldn't hardly touch him for weeks. The sad part is, if he treated an animal like that...how does he treat his wife and kids?? Sick son of a #$$%%^^!! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

13. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

Turn in your neighbor PERIOD!!!!

All the recent posts about dogs dying tears me up enough, but now I hear about some bastard fighting them.... Even if a person don't care for dogs, this should not be tolorated by anybody. If it where me, I would be there when the authorities show up just to let him know as long as I'm around, he won't get away with it.

14. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

He should be chained up in the backyard and fed a chicken. The best lessons leaned are when you have to walk a mile in their shoes.

15. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

Better yet, how about forcing him to fight for his life on a regular bases, then get abused and neglected when he's not being forced to fight.

16. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Wow /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    that has to be one of the saddest post yet. I am actaully slilghtly releaved that the poor pup died on his own, because i was in a very tough moral battle as to let you know how to mix up somthing that would let him go easy. I am glad to hear you did what you did, and it is ashame the little guy didnt make it. Please turn in your friend, you can be annominous (sp?)

17. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I do not have anything to do with the dogfighting. I've done nothing but love dogs all my life. Unfortunately there are alot of people who do this around here. I've known this guy for about 7 years, which is a pretty long friendship for a young'n like me. Over the years he's gone through a stealing phase, a pothead phase, and now the pitbull phase. His daddy is a minister so he's one of those kinda rebels. I don't hangout with lowlifes, except for him. Even though we are opposites, we've been best friends for 7 years. I'll never understand it.

18. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

It's good to see the other side, keeps your morals in check.

19. NEOMASTINO2U

NEOMASTINO2U 1/2 ton status

even though he is your best friend you gotta do something if he has more of these dogs, please, don't just stand by and watch, you can do it anonamously to so he would not know, do something before he gets hurt or an innocent child or adult, these dogs can kill! and they don't know the difference between people and other dogs when they are trained to kill, your friend could end up going to jail for murder or you could end up burying your friend cause one of his dogs turned on him. please do something before it is to late. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

20. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

I fully agree with everyone. The longer this man is left to go on and get more dogs the more animals will suffer. Maybe if one person starts turning these a**holes in it will start a trend. But if not at least one or more animals can be saved which is more then worth it. Friend or not, he is causing life to suffer.