Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help with a welder

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by fendereff, Mar 25, 2007.

1. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

For the budget your on a stick welder is your best option for welding 1/2" steel. Hobart makes pretty good welders so that one should be good. I have heard ok things about the Lincoln Tombstones like you can get at Home Depot but I think that Hobart has more amp output which will be nicer when you have to weld heavy stuff.

What are you going to use the welder for? A stick is not the best choice for most vehicle fabrication but can work. A mig is much better at that but a mig isn't as good for the really heavy stuff.

Harley

3. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

it is going to be used primarily for stuff on my suburban. brackets and reinforcing connections and such. i say 1/2", but that would be the max i would ever do. i just like having the right tools for the job, so when it comes up that i need to weld something 1/2", i want to be able to. i dont see the need arising very often.

4. Hossbaby50

Do you know how to weld or is this a learning project too?

For working on a vehicle and doing fabrication/reinforcing something like this might do you better.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200306073_200306073

If you are a competant welder & can do multipass welds you can weld 1/2" with a welder like this. I have welded 1/4" plated on multiple occassions with that welders uptown brother the Miller 135. Hobart is owned by Miller & Hobart is there more no frills line and Miller is the top line.

If you can expand your budget a little this is a great welder that will make welding heavier stuff alot easier. My welder at work is the Miller version of this and I have welded alot of 1/4" plate to 3/8" plate steel with it no problems.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200328799_200328799

Harley

5. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

it will be a learning experience lol.i will check those out. if i find the right welder, i dont mind spending a bit more if it will last me for a long time.

6. Hossbaby50

For general purpose welding a mig is easier to use. They are also pretty easy to learn on. If you know someone who welds have them teach you or try and find a class at your local community college. I learned through a local CC & the guidence of a friend that can weld pretty well.

I would highly recommend the Hobart 185 amp mig welder. It will cost more up front but should provide years of good service and is a very good all around welder. You will probably find it to be much more useful then the stick welder for most things.

Harley

7. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

cool cool. One of my roomates used to work at a metal shop and still has a set of keys :D so he will be helpin me out a little. I am also in the engineering program at my college and will be getting into some welding and machineing classes here soon, but I want on to tinker with in the garage.