Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

!!!Help With Aluminum Gaskets!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jc71355, Aug 4, 2002.

1. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Can the aluminum header collector gaskets be re-used? I can't get mine to seal up right and I need to know if it's the gasket or my alignment job. I've loosen and realigned it a couple of times now and it's still leaking. I don't want to lay down another $20 for gaskets if there is nothing wrong with these.

TIA
    James

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Yes, they claim they are reusable. Any luck on finding the Header Hush? Here's a number to try...........503-674-8081

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Are you talking header to head gasket or collector gasket? I have had great experiences with reusing the aluminum gaskets, but they will only account for so much deformaty. If you are using them down by the collector and the mating surfaces are really warped or the pipes don't line up correctly with the header flange, you may not get them to seal. I would check the alignment of the pipes and also the "trueness" of the mating surfaces. The product that Blazin' uses seems to help alleviate some of the problems if the flanges aren't as "true" as they used to be. Good Luck, and let us know how you make out.

4. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Frank,
    I haven't tried to find the header hush yet. I found these aluminum Collector gaskets at O'Reilly's when I got my copper header gaskets after my paper one's blew out. So I decided to give them a shot. They worked good till the bolts loosened themselves /forums/images/icons/mad.gif . If I cannot get these to seal up good then I will try the header hush. Thanks for the number.

Christopher,
    I put a block of wood on both surfaces to make sure they were flat. Both looked ok. I'm thinking that I wasn't getting the surfaces flat on one another when I was bolting it up.

Last night I finally got it to stop leaking but when I left for Class this morning I got a Code 44 Again /forums/images/icons/frown.gif . I didn't get a chance to check the header to head bolts to see if they have loosened up, which they probably have. I ordered a set of the stage 8 locking bolts to take care of this. Hopefully by the end of this week I will have it all sealed up and running correctly. Thanks for Ya'lls help

James