Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with an engine code

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sickquad, Mar 25, 2005.

1. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

My 94 thunderbird gave me a misfire cylinder #2 code. It was running way rich, smoking, and idling like hell. Put new plugs and wires in it since they were real old.

Reset the computer and no check engine light but still running the same. Anybody have any ideas what a misfire could mean?

Thanks
    -Chris

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if its a 3.8 motor check the coolent level. thay eat head gaskets. and that would cause your smoke in the exaust. just a comon problem to check out. and if so the dealer has raised the factory milage warenty on the gaskets. cause thay were so bad.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Besides the head gasket, It could also be a bad injector(s)

4. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Injectors, coil, maf sensor, throttle position sensor all test out good. This is weird.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

What about...

O2 sensor?--it controls the mixture--but why only cylinder #2 has a misfire is kinda baffling--still getting that code after re-setting the computer?

Might be a vacuum leak,intake gaskets can leak and make one cylinder run lean,and that throws off the O2 sensor reading some,and it will try to compensate for it by richening the mixture...try spraying carb cleaner around any gaskets or hoses you suspect with engine running...

Does you car use a coil pack?-or does it have a distributor?--I have seen GM HEI"s that had a bad "tooth" on the reluctor that would cause one cylinder to skip...not sure how fords ignitions are setup..it will run rich if all the fuel isnt being burned it that misfiring cylinder..Checked compression in that cylinder??--sometimes a valve problem causes misfiring too--.

Anyhow,good luck!

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I think its time to do a compression check. Espically if it is a 3.8. If you have a bad head gasket the leaking colant will take the 02 sensor out. That will make it run as you describe.

Have there been any other codes set?

Did you do the KOEO and The KOER tests?