Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help with an NP208

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mollyman, Oct 2, 2006.

1. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

I've got a NP208 with a slip yoke. My question is 2 parts. I'm lifting the rear 4" so I would like to know if anybody makes a SYE kit for the NP208 or where i can get a stock replacement rear driveshaft the already has the u joint pressed into it???? If i can't put a sye in then i don't want to get a custom dshaft. I also don't want to mess with pressing in the u joint. I've got an 81 K10 sub with a corp 12blt in the back. Any help would be great!!!!

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Cool , you have a nice long driveshaft in the rear . If you use springs or blocks , you may ( no promises ) have no problems . My buddy has a 4 inch lift , and runs the stock shaft .

With a shackle flip , I wouldn't know on a shaft that long .

3. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

Yeah i will lift with blocks or springs but where can i get a replacement reaer dshat with the ujoint already in it????

4. pauly383

Is yours broke ? A driveshaft shop is the best place , or a junkyard . 80-81 had slip yokes and 12 bolt rears in 6 lug Subs .

5. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

no mine isn't broke, but it needs a new ujoint where it meets the rear pumkin. and i don't know how to put new ujoints in so i just thought i would replace the whole thing and get it with a new ujoint in it

6. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

It would probably be best and cheapest to bring your drive shaft and a new U joint to a shop to have pressed in. Then your not installing a used U joint and don't have to hunt down a used shaft. They will probably charge you .5 which will probably be about 30 to 40 dollers.

7. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. my dshaft is pretty rusty, could i just sand paper it clean and paint it? and is there any tips on kinda of "restoring" it should i just pump it full of grease till its leaking out or what??

8. pauly383

If the joints have grease fittings , yes , you fill them until it pushes the old grease out of the seals on the caps . Pretty easy .

And if you take the shaft in to get a new joint , maybe you will get to see them do it . They will use a press ( you can use a large c-clamp or ball joint press ) . It is really easy .

Yes you can sand it , and lightly paint it . Don't get lots of paint concentrated in one spot , the shaft is balanced , no paint globs ( probably won't matter anyway ) :thumb:

9. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!

10. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Registered Member

After paying $60 for a shop to change 1 u-joint, I learned how to do it myself. I used a ball peen hammer and a rock.