Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with Auto Hubs....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kia, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

Hi all,

I need some help with my hubs on my '89 Silverado.

They're rattling and I think it's time they came off and got replaced. I haven't done it before so I was hoping the nice peeps here could help me out a little.

I'm good with tools and whatnot, so I just need some sort of diagram or a good description on how to go about it.

The garage here in the UK want to charge me £800 ($1300) to change them an I know I 'aint paying that!

Thanks in advance guys.

Kia.

PS. how much are the hubs anyway?

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

All you need is a set of Warn premium manual locking hubs (about $90.00) and a chiltons or haynes manual. It is an easy swap to do and should only take about an hour for a first timer.
    You can also do a search, this has been covered many times.

John

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

They are easy to fix. Remove from axle. Carefully hit several times with sledgehammer. Replace with $100 (usd) warn hubs.

Seriously, the auto hubs are weak and expensive.
    -- Mike

4. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys,

I should have done a search first (I usualy do /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif 'honest') see what I come up with.

Thanks,

Kia.

5. CammoK5

CammoK5 Registered Member

Hey yall, first post here at CK5.
    Anyway, I did the swap a while back. It was pretty easy. The directions that come with the Warn Premiums are clear as a bell. If I recal, the bigest problem I had was removing one of the lock rings. It was a stuborn s.o.b.

The autos I took off were at the time still good, I just dont trust autos. They've been sitting on a shelf in the garage for the past 4 years or so. If you have your heart set on keeping autos they are free for the taking if you want to cover shipping.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Hi all,

I need some help with my hubs on my '89 Silverado.

They're rattling and I think it's time they came off and got replaced. I haven't done it before so I was hoping the nice peeps here could help me out a little.

I'm good with tools and whatnot, so I just need some sort of diagram or a good description on how to go about it.

The garage here in the UK want to charge me £800 ($1300) to change them an I know I 'aint paying that!

Thanks in advance guys.

Kia.

PS. how much are the hubs anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

$1300!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY GOD I HAVE BOUGHT GOOD CARS FOR LESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Find a different garage if you can't do it but We can walk you through it/ Not hard at all.
    Hit Amazon.com and see if you can order a Haynes manual. These really are simple trucks and if you know what end of the screwdriver to hold and have common sense you can do most repairs.
    Here I found it for you and they are on sale. Here, I found the manual and it's on sale.

7. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

Best thing i found for the lock rings, is a good old set of dental picks. Worked great for me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

diagram
    [​IMG]

9. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

I found this on the net...

Click Here...

Coz I'm in the UK it's harder to get parts, but I found the importer of all Warn stuff /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif:):) so gonna call then later to see what they got in.

Thanks again all for the great help /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kia.

10. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

Ok I think I gotta get them for over the pond in the USA /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Where is a good place to get them from (Warn Hubs) that may ship to the UK?

Kia.

11. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you could try the big mail order places. im sure they ship overseas. here are a couple to try.
    www.4wheelparts.com
    www.summitracing.com
    www.jegs.com

$1300!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif i paid less for my truck. tell you what for 800 i fly over there and install them for you /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifand i will even bring the hubs /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

12. danielzink

danielzink Registered Member

Sorry - I don't know this - but...for my 87 Suburban - I've been looking at replacing the auto hubs with Warns also. I've been told that I need a "spindle nut conversion" as well as the new hubs.
    Anyone know ?

Thanks, Dan

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Nope, when your replacing the hubs you don't screw with the spindle nut, hell you don't even take the tire off!

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Ditto that!! Spindle nut conversions are some rip off device that they sell to Ford Exploder owners that want/need manual hubs.

15. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

If you can't find a place to ship to you, let me know.... we can work out something where you send me the money, and I buy the hubs and send them back. You can ask around, I've never ripped anyone off.... besides, too many people know where I live to pull anything... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok I think I gotta get them for over the pond in the USA /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Where is a good place to get them from (Warn Hubs) that may ship to the UK?

Kia.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm running that hub right now. So far so good. The think I like about that hub better then the Warns is the screws that hold it together are larger diamater and less prone to stripping out. I have stripped the screws on a Warn. I pull the hubs every time I get in deep water and it's taken it's toll. Now I was able to swap those hubs under lifetime warranty (that is no longer available I am told) for a new set that I keep as back up's.
    Now what I don't like about the Mile Marker is the engagment springs. THe Warns are a LOT better design.

The Mile Marker over the Auto...No comparison, The mile marker is stronger and much more reliable. If the Mile markers are all you can get over there then get them.
    Here you can get them for about $80 US. The Warns run about $90us.

17. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    If you can't find a place to ship to you, let me know.... we can work out something where you send me the money, and I buy the hubs and send them back. You can ask around, I've never ripped anyone off.... besides, too many people know where I live to pull anything... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont Trust her!
    I'll vouch for her. She's honest. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

Just got an email for the peeps at Warn..... (they do have a sence of humour /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Good day Kia,

Thank you for visiting the Warn web page.

You have the correct information, our 20990 hub set are the premium hubs for
    your Blazer. They are a direct replacement for the Automatic hubs that you
    currently have, the 20990 kit includes all the items you need to complete
    the installation. You'll find out that it will take about 45 minutes to and
    hour to change the first hub, after doing one hub you'll be a pro so it will
    take about 15 minutes to change the second hub.

I'll bet your Blazer gets quite a lot of attention in the UK. It must be a
    real squeeze to fit your rig down some of the narrow streets in the small
    villages!

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Steve Schoenfelder
    Warn Industries

I just got a quote for the shipping!!!!!!!
    $99!!!!!!!! AAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

The hubs are only $70!!! Do you want me to tell you who gave me that quote....?

I hate it here in the UK!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I think I'll have to take you up on the offer of ChevyCaGal getting them for me I think.

Kia.

19. Grim-Reaper

Kia:
    I put "Warn distributor UK" into Google and came up with this.
    http://www.4x4direct.co.uk/4x4directhome.htm Give them the Warn part number. They might be able to get them cheaper if the are a Distributor.
    There were several other places listed when I did the search so if they can't help you there may still be somebody there that can.

20. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Kia:
    I put "Warn distributor UK" into Google and came up with this.
    http://www.4x4direct.co.uk/4x4directhome.htm Give them the Warn part number. They might be able to get them cheaper if the are a Distributor.
    There were several other places listed when I did the search so if they can't help you there may still be somebody there that can.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried that, but the problem is that no company here keeps stock of anything like that, I even called the imnporter of all the Warn stuff into the UK and they want double what it is there plus I have to wait 6-8 weeks!!!

Thanks though for finding that out for me.

I'm gonna try other places in the US to see who can ship here, if not I'm gonna have to ask some buddies on this forum to help me out /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif (please with sugar on top /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Kia.