Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with auto to manuel hubs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jimmy84, Oct 28, 2001.

1. Jimmy84

Jimmy84 Registered Member

i need some help on how to get my old hubs apart. i'm pretty new at this and my chiltons just doesnt help. i took the 6 screws out and the cap of the hub. then took out the first retaining clip and the spring came out. i need to know how to get the rest out, do i need a special tool or what. appreciate the help.
    jarret

2. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

<font color=purple>you need to get a hub removal tool from auto zone or pep boy's or napa,,they're like $30. it's just a big 3" socket. if you use a chisel and hammer you can gingerly tap it out,,it's threaded on like a nut.

<font color=purple>ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]</font color=green>

3. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

<font color=purple>,,ok,,forget that,,not thinking straight today.. did you remove the large ring clip on the outer edge on the inside of the hub ? if so,,i think that's all to come out isn't it ? you shouldn't need to take off the hub for anything else. if the clip is still in there then use several very small screw drivers or dental pick's to get it out. sorry,,been a while since i even looked at mine and did one.

4. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

You don't have to take the spindle nuts off ot take the auto hubs out, do you? I don't think he was referring to the whole hub assembly, just the auto-locking hub. Correct me if I'm wrong...[​IMG]

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    --Thomas Jefferson

5. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

<font color=purple> i know,,i caught that one as soon as i clicked the "continue" button,,,, DUH !!!!!!!![​IMG]

6. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

oops! sorry, a minute too late!! [​IMG]
    That's what I was thinking, two small picks or one pick and a thin knife will do it (you can put the knife under the ring and hold it out while you grab the pliers and get ahold of it.) Good luck!

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    --Thomas Jefferson

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Two small eyeglass type screwdrivers worked well for me to get the ring out.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

8. mudmover

mudmover Registered Member

you do need to remove the spindle nut(s) to change the hubs. the spindle nut locking ring (in between the two nuts) is different for manual and auto-lock hubs. check into it, there should be a kit avaliable. I had to change the locking ring on mine when i converted. (the auto lock hub engages the 4 tabs on the ring).... good luck.

What do you mean you cant run <font color=red>35's</font color=red> and an <font color=red>easy locker</font color=red> and <font color=red>3:08's</font color=red> in a <font color=red>10 bolt</font color=red>?[​IMG]

9. chevrules

chevrules 1/2 ton status

You do not need to remove the spindle nuts.The 4 tabs do not interfere with the manual hubs.

chevrules...always has and always will

10. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Jarrett,

The reason there's a bit of confusion is ... The early 2nd generation truck have to be pulled down and a conversion kit has to be used. I'm no help either though as I'm not sure which year they were changed. I'm my 88 I did not have to pull the hubs apart. I just remove them and and slipped in the manuals.

Remove the black rubber dust ring on the outside. Is there a little clip exposed near the tower/hub lip? Pull it out with needle nose. Compress the retaining ring, and the hub pulls right out. On mine you do not need to disassemble.

11. Jimmy84

Jimmy84 Registered Member

where exactly is this retaining ring i need to compress, and what does it look like. thanks for all the help so far

12. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Looks like a wire ... the thickness of a thin coat hanger.

Someone here has PICS! Can someone post em?

Try doing a search on manual hubs ... auto hubs etc. When I did this a while back someone poasted a pic. Hit my name and hit my posts and look up the hubs stuff.

Good Luck.

13. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</font color=red>[/b]

14. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I was so exited about the clicky link I got working, I forgot to explain.
    When I had my autohubs out to change balljoints, I took some pictures. The ring under the rubber dust protection ring is the first picture called hubremoval, you see my dirty fingers holding it while taking the picture. to supersize it click on "vis bilde"

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>

15. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Espen,

If you get a chance ... maybe you can do a write up for the tech section. This comes up so frequently.

And of course ... parden my American Arogance ... but could you write it up in english! :)

Nice photos!