Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with axle bearing replacement!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lehtola, Aug 24, 2002.

1. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

Do you really need a bearing puller to get the bearings out? Also, anyone ever tried getting gear oil out through the filler hole? Some kind of suction tool? If I need a bearing puller, where do I get it? Autozone and Pep Boys don't have them to loan out. I don't think I'd need one for a long time if I buy one. Any suggestions?

2. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

WHat kind of axle? /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

1/2 ton 10 bolt.

4. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

why would you want to get the gear oil out through the fill hole. if you are changing
    axle bearings you need to remove the shafts and to do that you have to take the
    cover off the diff, and all the oil comes right out.
    when i changed mine, i did both sides at the same time, and removed both shafts,
    and used a long (8') piece of PVC pipe i had, and just tapped the pipe from the other
    side of the truck, and the bearings came right out.
    (stick the pipe all the way through the the axle tube where the shafts were before you
    take them out, thenlet it rest against the back of the bearing, and tap. it works alot
    better with a budyy to tap the pipe while you slowly rotate the pipe against the
    bearing, so you dont wedge the bearing )

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Damn you, thats a good idea. I just took to the torch to them to mutilate it enough and dig it out. Kinda proud because I didn't hurt it a bit. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

necessity is the mother of invention
    you should of seen the shadetree hydraulic press i built one night for pressing in
    some dana spicer ujooints, after beating on them with everything i owned, i
    broke out the welder and some scrap tube from building a receiver hitch, and welded
    up a frame, and stuck in a 20 ton bottle jack, and those c clips snapped right in.
    my employees always tease me about having watched to many reruns of macgyver.

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Hey Leth!!!! Restore's Idea is a good one, "IF" you plan on taking the carrier our. The carrier will have to be removed before you'll be able to slide the pipe all the way through from one side to the other. You can rent one of those bearing pullers from Autozone. However, the arms on the puller tend to be week on those rental cheap-o units. IT worked ok for one side of my old 10 bolt. But since I had the carrier out doing a Ring and Pinion install I ended up having to use the old 8' pipe deal on the other side.
    If you do go this route, make sure you keep everything to do with the carrier on it's removed side. IE, all the shims, bearings, races, carrier bearing caps and bolts on the side from which it was removed. When replacing all this re-install everything on the same side from which it came.
    Buy several cans of "CHEAP" brake cleaner and REALLY give the inside of that diff housing a good blasting with the brake cleaner. I used 3 cans on mine. <-- Over board, who knows. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i did this without removing the carrier. remember the axle shafts
    go through the carrier, just pull the center shaft for the spider gears, and slide
    the gears out, and when finished slide them back in. while i was in there a installed
    a lockrite, cause my spider gears were worn, and they were more than the locker.

9. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

its much easier on a 14bff /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

NITRO

10. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Damn, that must have been some skinny a$$ pipe. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

When I did mine, I had to use some steel pipe like for house gas lines adn a sledge hammer to get my bearings to come out. So going through the carrier with something that small would not have worked. But you are right, I forgot about that. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

11. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

if i remember right it was 3/4 PVC pipe, it just needed to be slightly smaller than
    the axle shaft diameter, and i was fortunate that mine did not require to much force,
    or the plastic pipe would give before damaging the bearing or anything internal.