Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with boredom in MN.!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by koldsimer, Dec 13, 2005.

1. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

So yesterday I find out that I pretty much have to go to Albertville, Mn. to help out a store. It's going to be pretty boring from what I can tell.... 10 hour days followed by going back to the hotel to watch cable all night. No laptop so no CK5! :eek1: Of course, being the exploring type, I will naturally take the good ole POS rent a car out for some local slides and donuts. C'mon, I live in Tx. and must take advantage of real snow! What then? I lived in Minneapolis for a summer and had a great time paddling around the local lakes swimming and fishing but I doubt that will happen this time of year.... any ideas on what to do?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

december in MN??

Hmm...sounds like cruel and unusual punishment to send a Texan to MN in december..you musta been a bad boy at work!..:rolleyes: ..

As for entertainment,maybe scroll down a few posts to the "Ice Fishing" thread??:whistle: ..

I'd suggest the libraries for internet access,but they won't be open at night...maybe an "internet cafe"?...also,some hotels have free high speed access in the rooms..thats where I'd stay!..:wink1: ..maybe you can find a lonely snow bunny online...:laugh: ..and be careful in the rental car!..:crazy:

3. koldsimer

Excellent suggestions. I especially like the one about shacking up with a snow bunny and keeping warm. I seriously thought about ice fishing but I have no access to gear and I don't know any locals so... I just found out it is gonna be snowing for the next three days up there. Woohoo!

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Ice fishing is cheap, brother. The biggest issue I see you facing is finding access to an auger. Once you have that figured out, you need a shorty rod, a reel, and a couple of lures. Fuel aside I probably only spend about $20 a year on the sport- a couple of bucks for a few lures and a couple of bucks on bait.

Maybe you could splurge and go out with a guiding outfit? They know where all the fish are and will be set up with all the comforts of home.

5. koldsimer

Damn I wish I could do it. Maybe a dumb question but is the ice in Mn. even thick enough yet?

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Good question, brother. I really don't know. FWIW, up my way we already have about 8" of ice.

7. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's thick enough in most spots. Be sure to ask the locals though. Our temps have been really spotty. There are a couple lakes in central MN where there's 16" (not joking) and on some lakes and in other parts there's hardly 4" and as little as 2".

Otherwise, I'm picking up a Toyota frame this weekend that needs to be stripped and painted...you wouldn't happen to know anything about wiring 230 single phase would ya? :D

Also, I doubt you're bringing your rig with but our state-run ORV is open year round so if you wanna brave the snow you can have a blast up there.

8. koldsimer

Man, i'm gonna be dying cruising around in my rent a car. Ah what fun the blazer would be in some real snow! I'd love to help ya out brother but all I know about 230 is that it hurts worse than 120, so I doubt that i'd be any help with your wiring. Realisticly, I probably won't have any time to go ice fishing. Does anybody have any info about albertville, Mn.? That's where i'll be staying.

9. mikey_d05

Oh yeah, FWIW, Albertville is less than 5 miles from one of the Cabela's outlets. Outrageous prices but going there to see the taxidermy and the aquariums is reason enough.

10. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

are you maried or commited to a relationship?

if not, beaver oil is a good way of helping keep warm and searching for some will help in passing the time :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :D

11. koldsimer

Perfect! I would love to check that out. I go to the local bass pro shop as often as possible here in dallas. Thanks for the suggestion!

12. koldsimer

Priorities for trip to Minnesota.... 1) Beaver oil hunt 2) Check out Cabelas 3) Donuts and long slides in the econobox 4) Find internet cafe 5) Go to work. This trip isn't looking so bad....

13. mikey_d05

How long are you gonna be there? If you've got a weekend, Kert's (DIY4x) shop is in NW Iowa and not all that far from the cities.

I'm not of age so I don't know of any good bars or clubs so I can't help you in that scene. However, Albertville is right in I-94 and is a straight shot into Minneapolis/St. Paul so you'll have no problem finding trouble there. The mall of America and most of the major retailers are on the south end of the cities, but it's not a far drive. Just be careful you don't hit 494 during rush hour, all I have to say is...:eek1:

Other than that, I don't have a ton of good suggestions. I'd offer to take you up to Gilbert (the ORV) but I haven't found a replacement door and the diesel bill wouldn't be fun. Eh well, if you need anything, let me know. I know quite a few people in the Twin Cities and a fair number of them are off roaders.

14. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That is exactly what I was thinking. I would definately bring the lapop. Most hotels have net access.

15. mikey_d05

C'mon guys, it's not like we're north of the Arctic Circle here or anything. It hit 40 here today.

It is snowing now though.

16. gauder

gauder Banned

Depending on where in Minnesota you are, you could always pop up to the Great White North for a visit too.

17. outsider223

outsider223 1/2 ton status

Ok, so MN ain't that different from WI. Ice fishing is good, just stick around where other people are, if they're ok, you should be good too. Option 2, definately check out the Cabelas shop. Option 3, road sleding, tie some plastic sleds to the back of a truck and go nuts, fun as crap. Option 4, rent a snowmobile, fun as crap too, just might get hooked on the damn things. Option 5, find an outfitter type place and rent some snowshoes. Sounds kinda lame, but it can be really neat, quite peaceful, and you can find some really cool places that you can't get too during the summer.

18. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

This is pretty funny to me. I'm stuck in Dallas - flew in from Minneapolis this afternoon :)

I was just thinking about asking for ideas on what to do around here. At least I have my laptop.