Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with broken bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stylzz, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

Bare with me I want to explain what happened. Ok how stupid am I? I was taking off my AIR pump and and pipe. Job was going as easy as can be until I got to the last bolt in the manifold in the back on the drivers side. It had been soaked with PB yesterday and a couple times today. It started to turn using the same amount of pressure as the rest and all of a sudden the nut came off. So I go to the parts store and get some easy outs and still cant get it out. I'm putting so much pressure on the easy out I'm afraid its going to break. So what should I do, just leave the easy out in there as a plug or is there another way to get it out or plug it. Too bad I didn't buy my welder yet because I would just put a beed in it.
    Thanks in advance,
    Joe,

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

try heating it with a torch even if it's a propane torch, then try the EZ out... Good thinking by not putting to much torque on the EZ out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I would weld it but since you do'nt have one yet you could drill and retap it.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yeah you gotta do with what you have.
    If all you want is plug it, then JB weld could do it. But if you want a clean job, drill it and retap it, I assume you have the drill, and if you don't have the tap, that is much cheaper to buy than a welder for now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

I would like to drill and tap it but for me to get in there I need to rent an angle drill because there is no way I can get mine in there between the master cylinder and the ac compressor. Would the JB weld work with the heat and pressure? I've never used it before so I don't know its limitations. I can't leave it the way I have it now because its just a band aid, 5/16" self tapping screw and high temp orange gasket maker /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Well at least it doesn't sound like a pop corn machine.
    Thanks again for all the help,
    Joe

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Actually if you use JB weld instead of the orange with the self taping screw you should be fine.