Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with Cali smog

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazerbilly, Feb 27, 2006.

1. blazerbilly

blazerbilly Registered Member

I have a 1977 Blazer with the 350 V8. I did an engine swap about a year ago and didnt include any smog equipment when this happened. It was supposed to be exempt until the gov changed the law again. I am trying to figure out what equipment and hoses etc that I need in order for this to pass smog. Also I have heard that Nevada does not have any smog requirements, anybody know what their vehicle registration reqs are?

2. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

DO you still have the emissions label under the hood? That lists everything you NEED on the vehicle in abbreviations such as PCV, AIR, etc, etc. Neveada, from what I read, smogs way back to late 60s/early 70s vehicles.

3. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

if you don't have the sticker under your hood. go to a local smog place they should have a book that lists all the devices for that specific year. get a copy, it's what the EPA/AIR goes by. get all the components and make sure they work. take it to a local shop and ask if they can run a "test" on it without registering it to the CA DMV. once you get everything in working order run the real test and go to the local DMV to pick up your plates.

ARQ.

4. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

You need to find out if the vehicle was equipped with CA emmisions or straight federal (all 50 states) smog stuff. The engine sticker will tell you.

There are 4 different configurations for that year with the 350. Three use a canister.

Check the local dealership with the VIN. Sometimes they will help. The dealership should be able to check the build order.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

**Hijack** Hey Arq, long time no see.... how have things been? **hijack**

what he said. works out better this way as well. if you get the copy from the place you plan on taking it then you know you have the copy they go by as well.
    Grant

6. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

i think they stopped the smog thing at '75 and i dont think their changing it. you can always register your blazer in the desert. some deserts in cali dont require smog:)

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

One way to find out what kind of smog equipment your truck came with is to find the RPO emissions package code in your glove box, if it still has the RPO code data sheet located in the glove box. If you can get the RPO emissions package code, then take it to a Chevrolet dealer parts counter. The guy behind the counter, will be able to give you a copy of an exploded view of all the smog eqiupment your truck came with.

I live in Nevada, and in most counties you will still have to get an emissions inspection. The only places in Nevada, which have no emissions inspection currently are rural areas way out in the midlle of "bum f*cked Egypt", and with so many ******, liberal, tree hugging, communist, lawyers coming out here to Nevada from California, and getting elected to positions of Government, it will not be long before emission testing will be mandatory across the entire state of Nevada.

The good thing about Nevada emission testing is that the visual inspection is minimal. The only thing they will look for on your truck has a smog pump, and an EGR. They will not even look to see if it is hooked up and fuctional. As long as they see one, it passes visual.

Another thing you can do here in Nevada is register your truck as a "Classic". If your vehicle is 20 years or older. All that is required is one emmissions test upon registration, and that is the last time you have to test it ever again. The only restriction is that you are only able to drive the vehicle no more than 2500 a year.

California on the other hand are a bunch on Nazi's. They will look to make sure you have an EVAP, Smog pump, EGR, all proper vacuum delays, hot gas recirculator, stove pipe, and make sure you have no non-CARB legal aftermarket parts on it. And then on top of that they will do a functional test on the timing, EGR, EVAP, and smog pump diverter valve. California sucks anymore! That is why I moved away from there.

8. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

If you don't live in Nevada, it will do you no good to get it registered there. Being a CA native, I happened to learn the hard way that your vehicle must be registered there if you're going to live there. You may be able to get away with it for a while, but they'll get you sooner or later.

9. blazerbilly

Thanks for the help

Unfortunately my Blazer does not have any of the emissions stickers on it anymore, all of that stuff is long gone. As far as the smog books go, does anyone know where I can get one besides a mechanic. I would prefer to do the work myself to save some money. Also the reason I asked about Nevada is that I am in the military and can register it in any state I want as long as I have some address there. My dad works in Nevada. Another thing that may help is if anyone has an underhood picture of a california smog legal Blazer around the same year as mine (77).

10. AZ79K5Project

PM me with your email address. I'll scan them in and email them to you.

11. blazerbilly

I dont have the access required for a pm on this site, but if you would please email them to me at williamhinton97@yahoo.com I would greatly appreciate it.

12. AZ79K5Project

They were sent.

13. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Another thing that may minimize what you need is if it is required to meet Ca standards or Fed standards. Im not quite sure if 77 was the same but the Feds didnt require an EGR or something like that. You can do a VIN check and they should be able to tell you what your vehicle had on it from the factory. Where are you from? I have some smog stuff I dont need, if your close to Fresno you can have it. If you go to dieselplace.com I am sure you can get one of the techs on the board to run your VIN if they can check something that far back.

14. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

Have you found out anything yet. I still have most of my smog stuff from my old 78 blazer. That i will never use. I have a 75 now.

15. AZ79K5Project

Buehler...
    Buehler...
    Buehler...

16. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

do what all my cali friends do, get a presmog blazer and start swapping parts for days. Ive helped 5 different friends with body swaps because of cali smog. The you run whatever motor your heart desires. 1975 or earlier, i had to dump my 2 rust free 79's because of arnold. Cali is trying to remove all vehicles off the road from 1976 to 1995 and my guess is you have to go to a test only shop.