Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with CB that santa is gonna get me.

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by sandawgk5, Dec 3, 2005.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I am getting a CB for the K5 and I need to tell "santa" what CB to get. I am thinking about the Cobra 19 WX NW ST. Is this a good radio? I will be using it on the trail as well as for my trip across the country from San Diego to Norfolk. When I get my towrig I will probably just move it into that truck and get a trail only radio for the K5. Any advice would be appreciated. Also looking to stay relatively inexpensive as Santa is on a budget this year :D. I also forgot I am looking at the 29 because it has SWR Calibration on the unit.

Thanks

Ira

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I am not a fan of the new Cobra units. The ST crap they put in there really seems to screw with the reception. I would go with a nice Uniden, Personal preferance.

If you could find an older Cobra that would be good too.
    I have the Uniden PC78 Elite, Thing is sweet. All backlit, weather channels. ect. Has no USB/LSB though.

As far as the SWR meter. I would not really trust a built in one. Mine reads ok, but you can get a good meter for pretty cheap.

[​IMG]

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Also I want a 102 whip cause I think they are sweet. I also have the crappy tire carrier and I plan to mount it to the top hinge of the tire carrier where it bolts to the body. Are the only mounts the ball style? And also if I mount a whip can I remove it and put a fiberglass antenna on the same base if "rules" do not allow whips. Sorry for the newb questions but the only CB I had was in my Geo Metro and it cost about $15. I did some reading on here and on the site where you got your set up and I think I am gonna go with the PC78 elite. Just seems to have more positive feedback than any cobra model. I dont know what Single side band is so I prolly dont need it on my CB :D .

Ira

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Another decent radio is the Uniden Pro 510-XL. It's a fairly small unit and has no extra features, but it's easy to use and dependable.

A 102" whip can mount on any antenna mount. A 102 can have a lot of force though when it gets swinging around and needs a strong mount, so get a beefy one.

Here is an aluminum mount I made using 1/4" thick material, and can be used with any antenna that has 3/8-24 threads:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you just want a CB, Texas Ranger makes some nice units. I myself like too have just a tad bit more then a CB. I run a President Lincoln 10 meter radio converted to 11 meter (CB). The Magnum S9 is a nice radio too.

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

OK "Santa" just ordered me a Uniden pc78elite :D. I plan on running a 102" whip attached to the upper hinge mount on my rear tire carrier. I want to mount it in a way where I can spin off the whip and attach a 4" fiberglass if I am somewhere that does not allow whips. Are there any good mounts that you could recommend. Also you prolly make your own cables but is there someplace to buy a premade cable with the spin on ends that is long enough to go from the rear of a K5 to the dash?

Thanks

Ira

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

For the mount, I would suggest looking at one in person. Some of the overseas crap is just that....CRAP. Get one with a spring as a fibergalss whip will need it. The 102 can live without it, but it is easier to just change out the antenna instead of both the antenna and then adding or removing a spring.

For the cable, Get RG8-X. The connectors are very easy to solder on.

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Guess I will have to go to radioshack and pic up an antenna do they sell Mini-8 cable and ends there?

Ira

9. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Not sure, I don't go there. Radio Shack is part of the

"Brian Black List" To many stores to list here though.

If you need i can drive over to the place where i buy all my stuff and get calbe and connectors, then ship them to you. I can even solder the connectors on the cable for you. Any length.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I would recomend a L bracket welded to the tire carrier, drill a hole for a acorn mount .

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I am confused as to the L bracket I just cant picture it. I was thinking about drilling a hole through the bracket and using this with a HD spring.

Brian I will have to get a measurement and I am not sure where I want to mount it yet. I have my stereo in a Tuffy center console so I might put it in the stock stereo location. I will look here if I cant find anything I will get with you.

Ira

12. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]
    You can see the top hinge by my plate that is where I wanted to mount the spring and antenna. Will that be a good spot if I have a 4' fiberglass for on the trail? I intend to use a 102" whip at all times unless rules do not allow it. Also above the drivers brake light is that area large enough to use one of those ball mounts? Just looking for options to mount and keep SWR low. I dont wanna use the roof cause I intend to cut that off in the future.

Ira

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The acorn mount will handle the 102" SS whip. The smaller Radio Shack mount may not.

14. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

hey that pic reminds me. :thinking:
    i have the same cb by the way.
    the only prob with swapping ant. is u will change the vswr.
    i think that is a ok place to put it, if the ant is lonng. other then that the mirror is going to give u the best versatillity and lowest vswr. but some dont like the look. mine is at 1.012/1 so im smokin :D

15. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Nope, VSWR will not change as it is set at the antenna, not the mount. I used to swap mine out all the time.

16. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Yep the glass one I intend to get will be adjustable so I hope I can set SWR with the 102 whip and then adjust the fiberglass antenna to get SWR in with out changing the setting on the CB. Is there a hole in my thinking?

Ira

17. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

the mount wont change the vswr, the place of the mount does. by placing the ant in the rear it is going to have higher vswr. when swapping ant, if u put a 3 1/2 ft antenna on the back u will have a higher vswr vs a 8' whip in the same location. that is what i was saying. then u would have to cal it to match so u dont kill ure xmitter(watch out fer those 5w :rolleyes: )

18. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

nope sounds good ira, for trial it will be more then good enough

19. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Hey guys how about this mount . Z3PR that Acorn mount you linked to do I still need the spring with that one and will it flex enough to use a fiberglass antenna also?

Thanks

Ira

20. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

That is the exact mount i have, remember earlier when i said that some mounts are not equal to others.....in so many words. That is one of them. It will work as it has held up to quite a bit of abuse from my 102, but the quality is not quite what i like. Don't worry though as it will not fall apart or anything like that.