Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with ceter bolt valve cover leaking

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PROFESSORSK5, Oct 4, 2003.

1. PROFESSORSK5

PROFESSORSK5 Registered Member

I baught a set of tall aluminum valve covers for my 89 K5. When I tried to install them I had trouble making the rubber gaskets stay on. I finally super glued the gasket to the valve cover and installed it. Now it leaks even after I re-tightned the bolts. Any sugestions. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

this maybe a stupid question but were they valve covers or chrome cover to go over your stock valve covers. the Valve covers should have a groove to hold the gasket in and should have dividers in it. Just a question....Jason

3. PROFESSORSK5

No they are aluminum and there is a grove but the gasket is to small to just lay flat, so I had to stretch them into the grove. They are so tight that they keep coming off. I have bought two different sets of rubber and a cork (Mr. Gasket) set, The cork set was to long and I mean way to long. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well if they were stock valve covers and you knew they were built correctly, I'd tell you to order some of the later gaskets from GM.

Got a set on my motor, and they are neoprene. Yes they need to be stretched, but they stay in place pretty well, and should last just about forever.

5. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

There is also a good chance you are over tightening them, long story short.....

When I redid all of my gaskets, tranny, axels,valve covers, tightened those s.o.b.'s to the max, I later learned that the pressure is no longer even along the whole gasket causing it to leak, hindsight is always 20-20 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Was that with centerbolts? Factory centerbolts don't allow overtightening (don't get crazy and go with 50ft-lbs anyway), as the center supports bottom out.

7. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

hmm,I beleave it was twards the back, I never knew you cant over tighten those though, cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. PROFESSORSK5

I ended up taking the Aluminum valve covers off yesterday. I can't tell if the bolts are to long or the holes in valve cover are (they are like tubes) are to long, but suspect it is the bolts. I could kinda tell when I tightend them up it felt like they were bottoming out. I will talk to the company I bought them from on Wednesday and let them know. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif