Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help with cobra 148 gtl

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by fright89, Nov 27, 2002.

1. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

I just pulled the old 148 gtl out of the closet to install in the blazer. The cobra seemed ok but I remembered that the swr meter did not work when I put it away. So off I go to get a new antenna and external swr meter. After getting every thing mounted I checked the swr reading and it was horrible so I started shortening the whip a little at a time as I have always done in the past to get my best reading. After a couple tries I noticed that the rx/tx light was red when I keyed the mike. I think it is normally green when you key down. Its been about four years since I used it so I jut don’t remember. If anyone has A 148 gtl please let me know. I’m thinking it should be green when I key it. Is it possible the its off so much that it goes red.

Check it out and let me know. Thanks

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It should be green when it's RX and red when it's TX.

3. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Check on the coax you are using. Mine was grounding out and was always showing red. 10 buck later I had a new end on it and it worked like a champ.

4. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

so was it green when you keyed up and it worked ok. Z3PR said in the reply before yours it suposed to be red when you key it. sounds like two differant answers.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If memory serves me correct, the light is green when it recieves, and red when it's transmitting. Alot of people confuce it with a Ant. warning light like on some radios. It's been awhile sence I had a 148

6. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

just found the manual on line and you are correct sir. just seemed like i was doing to much cutting. did not want to cut it down to nothing. thanks again. I am gonna go try again and check my conections.