Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with Detroit install

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Sep 24, 2005.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Hey guys and gals I am getting ready to install my detroit I got from sweetK30 in my 14FF and the question I have is do I remove the shims from the side gears or do I leave them in when I put the detroit in. I think if I leave them in it will only pre-load the springs in the detroit a little. Thanks in advance.

Ira

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I removed all the shims. If you don't the Detroit will not operate correctly! I thought I removed all the shims the first time, but realized that all were not removed when I heard a hellacious noise from the rear end. I took it back apart and found that the shims on the side gear were still in there, but were hard to see from the gear oil camoflauging them :doah:

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

The Detroit should have come with instructions, if it doesn't past the test labeled in the end,, it is not properly installed. I however did not look at that section till I realized I had a problem.

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I bought it used and it did not have instructions. What is this test you speak of?

Ira

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I know that on Aussies and Lock-Rights they remain in place to properly pre-load the locker. Let me look in the install directions if i still have them.

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

From TracTech, The No-Spin replaces all Side and Spider gears and shims.
    So leave them out

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Great thanks, I knew someone on here would know the right answer. I thought I needed to take them out cause the case did not sit down right with the shims in there.

Thanks again

Ira

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Definately remove ALL the shims. You should put the Detroit in a completely empty and bare carrier.

Here are the installation instructions from www.detroitlocker.com.

The manual you get with a new one is almost exactly what you will see in that link.

The test that was spoken of in an earlier thread is to make sure the locker operates properly after the install. The procedure is spelled out in the manual. :D :D