Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with doubler

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by k5moneypit, Jan 23, 2004.

1. k5moneypit

k5moneypit Registered Member

I am putting things together for a doubler, so far 203 from a 78 chevy, it was mated to 350. Could any one tell me what year 205 would make this a simpler and cheaper conversion, also since i will be bolting it up to a 700r4, what problems occur when changing out the shaft on the 700 to a shorter one. Read somewhere of driveshaft and trans pan hitting.Should i go with a spacer, or is there a another way to go. Any info would be great! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Okay, I will answer what I can........

1. You will need 205 from a TH400 tranny for the easiest install, no need to input or machine the case for a bigger bearing. As for what vehicle, I can't be certain, GM really did not have any set system they used, My 205 came from a 1980 K5 with a foctory 400, but some had Th350's. I think most of the larger trucks ran 205's so you might check that way, I am sure Stephen can shead some more light here.

2. I am running a 700/203 with no problems, the swap from what I have read is prety straight forward, just a matter of tearing down the tranny to change the shaft. I think Stephen sells them for like $170, but not sure. I am using my stock adapter hooked to my 700. You however might have to drill the frame to move the crossmember back depending on what tranny you are running now. IIRC, the th400 is shorter by like an 1 1/2" than the th350 and 700r4. I have never heard of anyone having pan to driveshaft clearance problems, but I don't know everything either.

IMHO, change the output shaft on you 700r4, do some tweaking to make it a stronger while you ahve it apart, buy you adapter and slap it together. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I hope this helped some /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Try reading these links, lots of great information here.

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/doubler.htm

http://www.offroaddesign.com/NP205tech.htm

Krennen

3. k5moneypit

k5moneypit Registered Member

hey thanks alot, i will keep ya posted on this one, should be fun! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There is front driveshaft interference problems when doing a 700/205 combo but not when doing a 700/203/205 combo

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Check the post on this forum that's titled somthing like "pre '84 vs. post '85 205's" there's a bunch of good t-case selection info in there.
    TH400 is longest, TH700 is about 7/8" shorter than the 400 and about 2" longer than a TH350.