Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help with drum brakes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Jun 13, 2005.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I am replacing my wheel cylinders cause the brake line broke of in them and they were full of rust and crap. Any how I got some from the part store and like a dumb azz I did not check both boxes as they had the same part number on them. Well I get them home and the one I looked at in the store looks like this.

[​IMG]

and the first one I pull out when I get home looks just like the first one however the seals on this one look like this.

[​IMG]

The bodies look the same, where the brake line connects are the same as in they are both flat not angled like the bottom picture shows. My question is do I indeed have two different types of wheel cylinders or do I have to like wheel cylinders with different seals. Also the ones I took off look just like the first picture. Should I take the one in question back or is there no issue.

Thanks,

Ira

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

To be honest, I'd go back and get two that look the same. Probably same bore, probably same length, but I'd still just want two of the same. You could probably remove the dust shields on the one and measure the bodies between both, but if it's as simple as taking both back and swapping one out, I'd do that.

I *believe* that external dust seal setup is solely aftermarket, both my 198x and 199x wheel cylinders (assuming they are original) use that "internal" dust seal, while the store bought ones were external. Here are the pics of (assumed original) 10 bolt and 14SF cylinders.

[​IMG]

3. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    As long as they looked up the right part # for you application,
    and did not make a mistake, it will be fine(ok). Even Bendix, and other
    top of the line Brake companys have varying styles of dust boots.

4. kd7kmp

kd7kmp Registered Member

I had the same experience when I replaced the wheel cylinders on my Burb. They worked just fine. Don't worry as long as they bolt up okay.

Kevin

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the advice I thought they would be okay as they were sealed in bags inside the boxes and they appear to be identical with the exception of the seals.

Thanks again,

Ira

6. chevydan3

chevydan3 1/2 ton status

The correct wheel cylinders for the application are the ones with the internal boots. The external boots are for a different application. Those are really only dust boots, not seals. I work at a brake parts house so I sorta know the skinny.

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The pictures are not a true representation of what I have. They were to mearly show the difference in the dust seals between the two. Both wheel cylinders are identical otherwise. Also will they bolt up the same or do the 11 1/2 brakes have a different wheel cylinder spacing than the 13 inch. My brakes are 13x2 1/2 inches.

8. chevydan3

chevydan3 1/2 ton status

If your brakes are the 13 inchers, then the correct WC are the ones with the internal boots. I know that Raybestos and Bendix often misbox wheel cylinders, so if it was me, I would get the correct parts. If they have the same inside measurements, it might work, it would just scare me to chance it. I have always thought that if you are going to skimp on something or chance something, don't do it on the brakes. If your engine dies, you can coast to a stop, but if your brakes die, that is a tougher situation.