Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help with engine break in and heat...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by StageZ, Jan 28, 2002.

1. StageZ

StageZ Registered Member

I just built a 383 stroker and am beakin her in... I know she is supposed to run warm durring break in due to more friction.... but she seems too warm.... everything is new and exactly to spec... radiator has been flushed, water pump is good... new fan(clutchless), new themostat.... if it is normal... how long should I expect to have a hot running engine? I have only done the cam break in and the first drive.... so far so good... except for when at idle or low rpm, i give a little gas, she feels real choppy then picks up.... any ideas would help....

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

How warm is "too warm"?

I can tell you from experience that installing the intake gaskets backwards will block coolant flow through the heads. [​IMG] [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Make sure your timing is set correctly with the vacuum advance disconnected (4 to 8 deg), hook up a vacuum guage and check your manifold vacuum ( between 12 and 16 inches). Did you degree your cam or just go by the marks? Big cam?

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

4. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Ya I agree BorregoK5 about timing, A new motor will run a little warm but how hot are you running? What Degree thermostat are you running? You might have to go colder but do not go cooler than 180 degree in my opnion. Your motor is susposed to run between 180 to 210 degrees any hotter than 220 degrees I would start to get kinda nervous.