Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help with engine swap

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mcmlxix, Nov 28, 2001.

1. mcmlxix

mcmlxix Registered Member

i have a 70 K5 4x4 with a 4spd SM465. the 350 that was in it was shot. I had a 307 from my 69 Camaro that wasn't being used. it WAS mated to a power glide. I am trying to put it in the truck to make it drivable again. I dont know if this will bolt together. i know it will be a dog and not be able to get out of its own way... but at least it will go. my concern it the input shaft mating to the crank in the motor. the original crank looks deeper to accept the 4spd trans. Should this bolt together? any one have any info on the pilot bearing? any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. frito

frito Registered Member

it should work you need to get a new pilot busing that goes into the crank, but as far as i know chevy never changed cranks between auto's and sticks ford on the other hand has been known to do that

what you might wanna do is go the the local parts store ... get a new pilot busing/bearing make sure it fits the trans by sticking it on the end of the input shaft (witch it should) and then try to stick it in crank... i do belive they are a snug fit so it its hard to put in but looks like it will fit then your good .

also on i side note the easiest way to install an engine that has a 4 spd is to take out the trans and TC put the bellhousing on the engine w/ the cluch drop the motor in , then stick in the trans and then TC, i have put an engine in a chevy with a 465 and a ford with a 4 spd both 4wd and its a major bitch to get the trannys input all the way in because its almost impossible to get the engine to line up to it perfectly
    good luck!

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Do as Frito says... I am not sure about whether Chevy has done this, but I know that some other divisions within GM have made cranks for automatic-equipped engines that are not counterbored for a pilot bearing or bushing. I'd suggest checking inside of the crank register and measuring the ID of the bore in the back and comparing it with the OD of a new pilot bushing or pilot bearing before you try the swap.