Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with frame support

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mollyman, Feb 8, 2007.

1. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

I was wondering what the best way to cross brace a frame is. I've got an 81 k10 sub. The frame is solid but I would like to add some cross bracing. I don't want to box the frame, I would just like to add some strength to it. So I was wondering which would be better, either use some sort of angle iron and weld it on either end to the frame rail or use some tubing and weld it up. I don't want to box it because I would like to keep some of its flexability. Any suggestions would be great.
    And thanks ( to who every did it ) for this great website, it has been a great help and it is super cool that the basic membership is free, because I'm poor and can't stop spending money on my truck!!!

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Once you brace an area of the frame you will be sealing its fate. Reason being is your frame is made to flex (especially on a burb) and you know this. Once you brace it in a specific area your frame will still flex everywhere BUT the area you braced. where ever the end of the brace is, is where it is going to start to crack. I did this to the first incarnation of my truck and it was the death of it.

I've said this before and I'll say it again

"Go all or nothing"

im sure thats not what you want to hear but its the best way.

3. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

Does anybody have any ideas about the best way to box a frame. I do not want to tube it out. I though about getting a thick steel plate ( 1/4 inch or so ) and cutting it in lengths and angles to fit between the top and bottom flang and up against the frame rail and welding it in, then cross bracing it up against the new plate. Anybody want to share how they did it?

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

you could use CL or a junk yard, find a cheap frame that is the same as the one you have now... and cut it into sections. Then you use the pieces from the opposite frame rail to box the other side.

I'm going truggy and am not going to box the frame on my rig... I'm just going to attach to the tube in an ungodly number of places to achieve a similar effect. :grin: If I can get things rigid enough, I may box the frame at the suspension mounting points just to beef things up.

j

5. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

1/4 i think is overkill---just get the same thickness as the frame, which is 3/16"

the way I did mine and one other is inside the frame (not butted against) reason being is when the frame tries to flex it is working against the plate and the weld versus just the weld on a butted application. I also stich welded it so incase i tries to crack it will only go as far as the next weld. the first truck I did the truck was complete and running. On mine it was a heck of a lot easier with the body and drivetrain out. It reall makes a difference. now on to some pics.

Just a small section but you get the picture
    [​IMG]

Boxed frame (notice the bumper)

[​IMG]

and un boxed (again notice the bumper)

[​IMG]

6. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

Hey thanks for the info (and the pics). I noticed in your pic that their is a hole exposing a bolt head. Did you do this everywhere you had a bolt you wanted to keep access to? Also how did you cut your steel? Did you get it in large plates then cut it into pces to fit or what? Also did you weld where 2 pieces of the new steel meet verticaly? One more question, I am new to the wonderful world of welding and I've got a self feeding mig welder (on sale at Lowes, plugs write into my old barn outlets and it only took me an hour to help my wife understand why I needed one), will it do the job? THANKS!!!