Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help with fuel pumps

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by widowmaker, Mar 28, 2004.

1. widowmaker

widowmaker Registered Member

i have a 79 truck and i bought a fuel injected motor but i am gonna run my carb cause i like it better but how hard is it gonna be to put a eletric fuel pump in and what would i have to do get everything to work write if anyone can help i would really like it alot thanks again /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you want to run a electric pump with the carb. right?
    first you can't use the stock pump, you will need an aftermarket pump that mounts inside of the frame. you will also need a fuel presure regulator that will turn down to about 5 psi

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I just got my NEW J.C. Whitney catalog in the mail. In it, is an electric bellows pump with an internal bypass That put's out 4.5-7 psi. No regulater needed. This pump is made by Walbro. catalog # SD730907Y and is 39.99. This is the style pump I was talking about. I know Borg warner makes a similar pump. But don't have any part #'s.
    Al you need to do is mount the pump and ground 1 wire and use the power to the coil as a power lead. Tap into that wire.

4. 88subgeorge

88subgeorge Registered Member

Better to connect the pump to an "Ignition Fused" spot on the fuse block.
    Some folks use a pressure switch so the pump stops when the oil pressure goes away, as a safety feature.

5. widowmaker

widowmaker Registered Member

well i dont use a coil i have a hei system. and i found one from purolator and i cam gonna try that may i will run it to a igniton wire so when i turn the key on i get power. any other suggestions please fell free to lt me know

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I bought a carter electric pump to replace my red holley. I couldn't be happier. It's quiet and doesn't leak. Mounts inline just like the holley did so I didn't have to change anything except how I bolted it to the frame. It runs 7 psi so it works for the carb. It's their street strip model from summit.

clicky

Little spendy but I think its a good pump.