Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with gear indicator

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mouse, Jan 17, 2004.

1. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I've been doing a little at a time to get the K5 ('77) on the road, and today I finally pulled the dash to look at why the gear indicator doesn't work right. (its an auto, regular column shifter) The little cable that drags the indicator to the right was all the way to the left and wouldn't pull until the truck was in drive or second gear. Needless to say, I adjusted it until the needle lined up while in park. But now the needle will stick, and refuses to go all the way to the "Low" position. Is there an easy way to get this to work right? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

Thanks.... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

hmnnnn on mine there is some white (lithium?) grease on my slider, maybe urs needs greasing. Also maybe the cable is too long, so it is wrappin down under the column and so instead of pullin to the right it is starting to pull down? cause as the column as spinnin clockwise if the cable is too long when it gets to say 6oclock the indicator wouldnt make it past about oh, say 1oclock.

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Grease it up good witha light grease as in the Lithium grease. Make sure the gate it slides in is straight. If it's bent at all, it won't return. The return spring is to light to pull it back.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yep sounds like something is bent or cable is not routed correctly.
    the needle should be real far away form the face of the indicator plate, maybe it is hanging up on it out of position, youre just gonna have to inspect carefully and watch motion of it with the dash guages bezel removed and see..

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

As it moves to the right, the cable is starting to pull down, more than to the right. I'll try spraying some white lthium grease on it, but it looks like the cable might be too long. Does anyone have a picture of how this is supposed to look? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

It sounds like it's not routed correctly. The cable runs from the mount on the column, around a plastic post on the dash, then to the indicator. If it's not run around the post it won't go much past the center when you shift. Wish I had a picture to post since this reply is clear as mud...

7. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I guess that means I'm missing the post. What is it supposed to be attached to? I'll have to either make one or get one from a donor...

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

If i remember right there is a plastic post inside the gear indicator area. Like off to the far right its a little post the wire is supposed to go around. Like from the orange slider, around the post, then down to the column.

9. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

That's the one I'm talking about. There might be someone out there with a camera that could snap a picture...

10. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I see where the piece is busted off of my dash. I think I can thread a screw with a spacer into the dash to fix the problem without having to buy a whole new dash piece. I could really use a picture to see how this thing is supposed to be run.... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif....A picture would be G R E A T L Y appreciated!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I just put a drywall screw in mine to repair it... my spare is out in the garage and I'll see if I can dig it out tomarrow and take a pic...