Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with GM hardtop fasteners?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dznutz70, May 18, 2002.

1. Dznutz70

Dznutz70 Registered Member

Okay so I took the hardtop off for a week and well taking it off the hex bolt that goes through the tire brace started spinning. The bottom nut part thing a ma bobber had broken loose. So I held it with pliers and took the thing off. Now here I am putting the top on and I remember. So what can I do about this? I have been thinking about it and really can't think of anything simple to fix it. Any ideas?

I did have some good luck though as I had just finished tightening the last bolt the torx security bit snapped in half. The way I look at it though at least I finished when it broke.

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

have someone weld in a new one. If you don't know any one that has a welder, just prep it all your self, and take it to your local welding shop or even local college and have someone run a bead across it. Shouldn't be too much of a problem. If it wasn't the bolt that held your tire carrier in i'd say leave it out. You don't really need ALL of the bolts that are there.

3. 78Jimmyish

78Jimmyish 1/2 ton status

I had that happen a couple of times to my 78, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I drove around all winter with the top held on by the bolts around the cab and one bolt in each side - no leaks, no problems.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Just use a nut....

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I plan on getting rid of the spare tire holder in the truck when I get one that'll mount on front of the tailgate (swing out type).