Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help With GM Ignition Module ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudslinger99, Jul 31, 2005.

1. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

I need to change one right now in a 92 S-10 Blazer and I have 3 of them but can't remember which ones are good :doah:

Is there any way to test them to make sure there good ?

I know some stuff can be tested using a OHM or volt meter but is this one of them?

The reason I need to change it is because the truck keeps quitting when it gets hot and if you let it cool back down it will start again so my guess is that it's the module.. Does that sound like the problem to everybody else ?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Take them all to the local parts house. They usually have a module tester and should be able to test them all in about 4 minutes. :cool1:

Oh yeah, why are you keeping BAD modules? Throw 'em in the trash can! :rolleyes:

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Top, center of module should have a white or yellow "circle". If its a raised bubble, that's supposed to indicate failure. (Delco modules anyway) I don't think I'd rely on that, but it's supposed to be for that purpose.

You need a special tester for the modules, parts stores usually have one as mentioned.

4. mudslinger99

Well I got the S-10 fixed ''I think :smile1: '' but I had to take it apart 3 times before I figured out what module was the good one :screwy:
    I had the wife take it for a ride to see if it would quit again when it got hot like it did before and so far it's running fine..I guess we will find out with in a few days :D

The reason I had some that were no good was the last time I worked on a couple of trucks and had to change the modules it got late and my buddy picked up all the modules and put them in the same box :angry1: I had 5 new ones that I bought to keep around just incase and he mixed up some new ones with the old ones..You know sometimes having help working on something can turn in to more work then you had if you done it by yourself :haha:

I think I might have one more good one but I have to go to the parts store tomorrow and will have them test it to make sure because it is sure a pain to put it in and have to take it apart after you find out it's no good :doah:

So which parts store can test them Advanced or Autozone or both ?

5. mudslinger99

I remember seeing that on another thread on here before.. But I don't think it was confirmed as a definate way to tell.. I did see that dot on the one I took out today and even checked to see if it was raised.. My conclusion was it was raised just a little but if you didn't feel for it a few times you probably wouldn't even notice..

6. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Holy crap. Those things are almost 90 bucks a peice around here!

7. mudslinger99

:yikes:

When I bought them a while back I had a hook up at the parts store and got a little discount but now they are like $55 bucks for GM and $30 bucks for after market..

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, I have two of them. One I pulled from the truck worked, but the bubble was "up". Symptom: Engine warms up, once you shut it off, won't start again, fairly random.

Swapped in another module I had (spare distributor from??) that had a white dot, but wasn't raised. Now when the engine gets hot, you can bank on it not starting. Curious to see when I pull it if the dot is back up.

I don't see how that bubble can be indicative of every problem, since my truck runs on the one thats raised, just not right.

9. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

I guess that is Napa in the middle of nowhere for you. Or just Napa for that matter. :mad: :mad: