Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with High Angle E brake- Need ideas...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SCJimmy, Sep 23, 2003.

1. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Need some /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

I need input from those of you who are running the HAD drive shaft e-brake. Specifically, how you connected it to your existing pedal setup.

Byron

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

OK, the original setup on my '78 had two cables, we'll call them #1 and #2. #1 goes from the pedal down to where it passes through a cable stop at the frame. On the inside of the frame the cable comes out with no housing so it needs to be in tension at all time, unlike when it is in the housing where it comes out of the firewall. After it passes through the frame it attaches to cable #2 that goes back to the wheels.

OK, so I removed cable #2 completely. Mounted a pulley on the inside of the framerail about 8" away from where the cable passes through the frame. The cable now passes through the pulley in order to change it's direction to point at the e-brake caliper. The end of cable number 1 has a threaded rod on it that wasn't quite long enough to reach the caliper, I got a piece of allthread and a connector nut to lengthen the threaded bit so it would reach the caliper. The interesting bit is that the stok spring on the caliper is not strong enough. I had to make a bracket that attaches to one of the bolts on the caliper, then another one that attaches to the end of the actualtor arm. I put 2 coil tension springs that I found at the hardware store on the brackets so the caliper would disengage all the way. No pics of the setup right now, it took 3 nights and countless times of putting it together, taking it apart and tweaking it a little then putting it back together again to get the thing working correctly. It does work really well when it's all put together, I'm real happy with the whole thing other than how much of a PITA it was to make it all work.

I can try to get some pictures for you.

3. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I have the mental image of that setup now. My 89 has a cable that runs to an adjuster in front of the driver's side rear spring hangar. I could take it loose there, and do a similar setup.

I've seen several production machines on an assembly line that use a push/pull cable setup. SS cable inside of a plastic sheath. I wonder if I could cut the brake cable farther forward, and splice one of those in to curve over to the e-brake. I think the pushrod can be cut to length.

I'll have to score one to try...

It would still need the return springs though....
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I think I'm seeing the picture now....
    I'll take a pic of mine tomorrow, and sketch that in.

Thanks Evan! (again) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Byron

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I'd tell you how I did mine but it will be nothing like yours so there isn't really a point (if you really want to know there is a post in the 1st gen forum if you want to search for it).

I agree that the caliper's springs arn't enough to return the peddle. I went to Home Depot and got some coil springs and slipped a few over the cable to help it return.