Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help with horrible turning radius (pics)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Toledo, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

The turning radius on my truck is horrible. Doesnt get closs to the turning stops and is the same left and right. The previous owner rigged up the steering arm and all of the components so I dont know if he used the wrong parts or what. Can yall take a look at the ends, box, and steering in general and let me know what may cause a really bad turning radius. The truck was originally built for mud runs but I am trying to make it a a little more useful. I know the draglink should be parallel with the ground and isnt but dont know if that could cause it. We are planning on cutting it off to be not as tall or finding a way to make the joint at the pitman sit higher and tighter. I dont know a lot about this stuff but am trying to learn as fast as possible. Thanks in advance for any help.

http://coloradok5.com/photos/data/500/3940MVC-004S-med.JPG
    http://coloradok5.com/photos/data/500/3940MVC-005S-med.JPG
    http://coloradok5.com/photos/data/500/3940MVC-006S-med.JPG
    http://coloradok5.com/photos/data/500/3940MVC-010S-med.JPG

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

looks like a werid cross over steering setup, looks like you wont get much flex out of it either, ie tie rod hitting the frame. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

ya thats also the reason I am thinking of cutting the steering arm down. Havent flexed it all the way out yet. But the draglink does travel into the grove of the cross member with the flex I have put on it. If you notice he had some sort of anti-DW bar running from driver side frame to passenger side swaybar connect. Really is no telling what else has been rigged. Does it look like the correct box?

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Dude, thats a scary steering setup. What kind of lift do you have there? I strongly recommend a new steering arm.

5. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

ahh, scary, also he reused or used old u-bolts, funny how he spent the money on the diff cover and not doing the steering right /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

Just put in new 6" TC, 1"zero rates moved 1" forward, 2.5 degree shims, .6" longer home made shackles. Actually the U bolts are all new and havent even been cut off yet and the diff cover is something I added recently. Funny how fast stuff can rust when it rains almost every day. OK so yall say do something about the arm. What about the rest of it? I can make a new draglink as needed but are the ends the correct app? I realize it isnt the best setup but I dont see anything scary about the arm.

7. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Your turning radius has been diminished because of that particular pitman arm. Although its a long sucker, its not that far away from the center of the turning radius, which is greatly affecting its ability to move the draglink side to side.

If you replace it with one that has more of a reach to it, then you will achieve better turning radius.

8. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Looking at the pictures more, that steering arm looks like a homebrew and I'd bet my bottom dollar that whoever bent that arm up, also bent the pitman arm down so he could get a level draglink. Worked to get the draglink level, but it also messed up your steering radius. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

well the steering arm is for sure a home brew. The pitman does not appear to be bent but may be. Where can I get the pitman that I need?

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> That whole setup looks like an accident waiting to happen... I'd strongly suggest getting some quality parts to replace the bent pitman arm, and replacing that monstrosity of a steering arm wouldn't be a bad idea either. </font>

11. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

After digging out some pics I realized just how off that pitman is. So first off I will get a new pitman not sure which one or where from. Once that is done it is going to move the draglink closer to the crossmember and I will deal with the steering arm as needed. Anybody need to a steering arm for a 12" swamprunner lift? lol