Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with hydro assist install w/o heim joints

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blazer79, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Hello:

I bought a ram from surplus center. It's a 1.5"x8" ram but has no heim joint ends. When we were taking measurements to install it we noticed that the drag link not only moves sideways and front to back, but it also moves up and down (about 1/2") due to the angled knuckles in my Dana 60 (and all axles, I think).

It seems to me that something will eventually break if I install it without the heim joints, but I know many people have installed it like this.

Can anybody with a setup like this tell me if it has held well or did something eventually break? Maybe post some pics?

I could add a couple of heim joints, but that would be too expensive. The cost is the same as buying another ram because of shipping & handling & taxes, since I'm outside US.

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It only has one run on it, but mine just has big clevis ends with pins. I ordered the tabs with about 1/16" of play in all directions on purpose. Call me redneck, but it's worked so far.

3. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

When I installed my ram I did not lign up the mounting tabs parallel with each other. I also have a small amount of play in the tabs which gives the ram plenty of room to move without binding up. So far I have about a dozen trail rides and some street miles on my setup with no malfunctions to speak of.

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

The reason I'm installing the ram assist is to get rid of death wobble. If I leave some play on the clevis, won't that still allow death wobble to happen?

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Installing ram assist will not solve death wobble it will only cover it up. Call ORD and order there Dana 60 Kingpin Bushing and Spring kit it is only $17 for both sides. Add your existing spring cup to the top of the new spring to add a little extra pre-load and you should be good provided you Kingpins are not shot. Are you sure it is death wobble and not a bad TRE?

Ira

6. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I ran into the same thing mounting to the tierod. It moves or kinda twists as it turns one way to the other. I tacked it up so it was in the middle of the movement and then checked each way and the tie rod ends have enough movement that it works ok. Here is a pic of mine:

DSC02505.JPG

7. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Sandawg:

I already replaced everything at the ends of the axle. I ordered the complete kit and not just the plastic bushings, but that didn't solve it.

I did have a bad tierod, but now I'm replacing everything with new bars and heim joints. Hopefully that will help too.

Thanks.