Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help!!! with ignition cylinder replacement (with key)!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lehtola, Aug 1, 2002.

1. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

I need to replace the cylider lock on my Jimmy. Anyone done this before? I assume it is fairly easy/painless and quick. Am I wrong? What tools are needed? I've got a hanes manual but can someone offer some practical tips and experience? I got the GM Goodwrench replacement part rather than a knock off because I know some folks at a local GM dealer...the part was only $6 more. Help me with this please.

What tools are needed? Steering wheel puller?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Well the bad part is you have to pull everything out of your column down to under your turn signal switch to get access to the ign. switch. Once there, there is a little hole on the side of the cylinder to depress a tab to pull the ign switch out...then just replace in reverse operation.

Hope this helps.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Do a search for the tilt column fix on this board. There is one pretty current actually.

It's an easy swap, but I'd go buy the $10 lock plate compressor right now.

4. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

tilt column fix huh? well...I guess I'll need it for something...couldn't I just rent it from pep boys or something? And I need this because I can screw something up?

5. dyeager535

You need the $10 tool because you will spend a lot of time and anger trying to remove a stupid little c-clip around the shaft in the column. You have to compress a plate (against a fairly stiff spring) then somehow pop that ring out of the groove in the shaft. Unless you have real strong fingers, you'll have a fun time doing this with just two hands. Just turn around and sell it on here if you don't think you'll use it again. 50% off : )

Basically to replace the lock cylinder, you start at the steering wheel, and keep taking things out until you can reach the screw that retains the lock cylinder.

6. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

Where do I get this $10 tool? Can't I just rent one from pep boys?

7. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

I'm guessing I need a steering wheel puller?

8. dyeager535

You can sometimes get by without a steering wheel puller, but its rough on the column. I thought every GM owner already had a puller? : )

I thought I heard autozone loaned tools out for free, with a deposit? I don't have pepboys or autozone close to me, so I have no clue if they carry it. They should.

It's a $10 tool. If you rent it and have to pay $5, two uses and it will pay for itself.

9. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Im pretty sure you can go to a lock smith and they will put one in for like $30 I think they have a special tool(locksmith stuff) that does it really fast but since u already have the switch you might want to see if the guy will do it for like a $10 tip