Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with ignition problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbear90, Jan 4, 2006.

1. bigbear90

bigbear90 Newbie

I have a 1984 Blazer with a presistant ignition problem. ive gone through all of the normal routes ( Plugs, Wires, Coil, Cap, Rotor, and the ignition module) The timing is set correctly and the timing chain is brand new, Also the whole top end of the motor has been redone < 1 month ago.

now theres the back story. the problem im having is when under load starting from 2200 rpm and up i am getting a misfrie. it idles fine, and when i push the petal to the floor in neutral it doesnt do it.

the only thing that i can think of is the computer is failing, or i overlooked something

thanks

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

hmmm...

Well,you replaced everything but the pick up coil in the distributor..so if your SURE its ignition thats at fault..maybe its that..or the ignition switch itself??

I don't think a stock '84 would have a computer either..maybe an "ESC" spark box..if the module has more than 4 prings on it,then it has the "ESC" (Extended Spark Control" box..which could also be faulty I suppose..but not likely..

Make sure the big pink or red wire to the HEI is not cut,corroded,or getting low voltage due to a bad connection somewhere..the HEI needs 12V,if its not getting full amps,it will show up under loads the worst..like pulling up a hill,etc..also make sure the coil has its ground strap under it where it mounts,and its clean..good luck..:crazy:

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

What he said. Also make sure the plug wires arent touching anything. On some motors, ERG problems can cause that also.

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I'd try the pickup coil first.
    If that's not it, if you have ESC disconnect the harness from the distributor and jump pins A & C, this will bypass ESC and allow the vehicle to run.
    You could have a carb icing problem in New Jersey there, if you'v disconnected the heat riser tube and valve, try connecting it back up.
    Or lastly, a valve is not seating correctly. Perform compression and leakdown on all cylinders. If you just did the heads, there is a potential somethings not sealing up right.

I'd say, pickup coil, or valve not sealing are my bets.

5. bigbear90

bigbear90 Newbie

thanks for the help

today i cleaned all of the connections on the distrubator made sure i was getting voltage, and ran a new ground back to the battery. sadly these didnt help, tomorrow im going to try to see if the pick up coil is faulty ( the part i overlooked) and try to jump out the ESC.

if this fails to do anything im just going to change out the old distrubator ( please forgive the spelling errors) with a new one, with that said can anyone suggest a good replacement distributor?

thanks

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

not much choice..

If you have the "ESC" distributor,your better off keeping it..just put a new pick up coil in,or have someone do it if your unfamiliar as to how too..its not that easy,but not impossible either..I'd say buy a complete rebuilt distributor instead,but you already replaced all the other parts,so it makes sense not to in a way..and many of those have cheap tiwan modules and pickup coils in them too!..

I kind of wish I'd have left the ESC distributor in the 305 I put in my 79 C10..it was from an 86 G10 van,but I forgot to rob the ESC spark control box from the van before I junked it!:doah: --so I had to use an "old style" HEI with a vacuum advance I had instead..I think the "spark advance curve" is different enough so I can feel the difference in performance,but i still runs pretty decent..bet it would be better stock though..

I don't reccomend any of the "hot rod" distributors in general..many guys I know have Accell,MSD,etc,and have nothing but grief..they made the mistake of buying a "race only" version without a vacuum advance on trucks and street cars that needed one..even the "right" ones with a vacuum advance have special caps and rotors , modules, and pick up coils most of the time---and try and buy one on sunday if your out in the sticks..:eek1: :crazy:

7. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

ok, not to be smart-ass but how do you know it's an ignition problem and not something with the carb? also what plug gap?

jsyk changing the pickup coil is less than a 45-minute job. just do the following 3 things
    1. distributor housing to block
    2. rotor to housing as installed
    3 rotor to housing at the spot where it moves to when taking it out.

imo, knocking out/re-installing the roll pin for the distributor gear is the hardest part.
    when you re-install line up 3 then lines 1 and 2 should line up when you drop it back in and you'll be good to go. :whistle: but what do I know I'm just some hick that can't afford to pay others to work on my buggies.