Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with installing new locking hubs!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Saxwonder84, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Saxwonder84

Saxwonder84 1/2 ton status

I'm in the middle of changing my old hubs with some warn premiums but I can't get the old hubs out. I've removed the cover and spring and taken out the lock ring which let the center cog (i guess) come out, but the instructions say there is a retaining ring but I can't find it and the rest of the inners won't come out. Can someone plz help?

Jacob Byrd

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Look at the very outside of the hub body inside the wheel hub. There is a lockring that retains the locking hub body. It is in a groove inside the wheel hub. You have to pop that out to get the locking hub body out. A couple small screwdrivers, awl, etc you can pop it out. A dental pick works like a charm too if you have one.

Harley

3. Saxwonder84

Can't find the things. Dang

4. Hossbaby50

It is just a round piece of thick wire. there should be a gap of about 3/8" or so someplace around the hub. Just drag your finger or screwdriver around the edge of the hub and you will find a gap.

Harley

Harley

5. Saxwonder84

Thanks I found it but man I can not get that thing off. I lack small screwdrivers and I don't have a dental pick so any other helps on getting thta thing off?

6. Hossbaby50

Try and get something pointy. Knive, flathead screwdriver, etc underneith the ring. Then grab the ring with some needle nose pliers.

Harley

7. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

pocket knife works good, after you get it off the lip put a screw driver behind it and run it out, but invest in some pics to get it out next time. Also make sure the hub and egged or you will never get hubs in or out. The warn premiums are a good investment though. good luck

8. Saxwonder84

I finally got it all back together and low and behold IT NEVER DISENGAGES!!! Oh man this is a trip. So much for easy install or am I mechanically disinclined? Some plz help.