Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with leaks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Black Jimmy, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Black Jimmy

Black Jimmy Newbie

I have a 1985 C30 dually with a 6.2 diesel and dual tanks. It seems to be leaking fuel from around the injector pump area and it seems to also leak from what looks to be a vent on the switching mechanism itself under the truck. When I bought the truck in October, the p.o. told me the sending unit in the drivers side tank was bad so I have never used it, but if you flip the switch to the driver side tank, it reads full. Could this have any relation to the fuel coming out of the vent??? Could the switch be bad or the mechanism itself?? What do I need to look for at the injection pump?? Thanks in advance.

2. Guss

Guss Registered Member

helping with leaks

if the fuel pump is leaking try tightening first before you go replacing gaskets and fittings. be careful not to over thighten you dont want to break any thing.
    as far as the vent leaking fuel if im uderstanding you correctly its the vent on the tank if your not using that tank drain it if you plan on using it and the fuels been in there for a while i would put som bio bore in it to keep the groth out of the tank. fuel expands and contracts with different tempatures. the switching mechanism, replace it.

3. Black Jimmy

Black Jimmy Newbie

The previous owner told me the driver's side tank was empty, so there shouldn't be anything in it. the other leak is coming from a vent line??? that comes off the switching unit itself under the truck on the passenger side frame rail and it leaks whether the passenger side tank is full or not especially if the truck has sat for a day or two.

4. boydfoose

boydfoose Registered Member

It looks like that it has a problem with the injection pump seal, might want to replace and recheck the whole thing.