Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help With Lift And Tire Size?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by killerbeez, Mar 10, 2005.

1. killerbeez

killerbeez Newbie

Hey, well I'm new here, site seems cool. I'm not in Colorado, but I just got a K5 and this is the only real site I could find :P But I actually just moved here to Utah about 2 years and I'm from Woodland Park for those of you who know the little town....

Anyways, I just got an '86 K5 Blazer. It's got a FI'ed 383, a 2" suspension lift and 33's. The paint is peeling in some spots, but the body's straight and the interiors nice...
    Anyways, how much (suspension) lift is ideal for 35's? My dad says 4" is what I'd want, but I kinda like the look of a 6" lift with 35's. Only problem is I'd have to get new driveshafts and whatnot for a 6" lift and not a 4".....

Does anyone have any comparison pics or something of a 4" 35's K5 and a 6" 35's K5?

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

welcome! sounds like you got a pretty nice blazer,good score. as far as lifts, it also depends on if you want to trim fenders or not. with 6" you'll probly get away without trimming. im sure you will get a bunch of pics from other guys on here, we all love to show off our trucks:D i'd post mine, but its only 3" w/33's. soon to be 35's tho. good luck

3. killerbeez

killerbeez Newbie

Thanks for the welcome :)
    But anyways, my dad has a K5 as well, and he's got posie'd Dana 44's front and rear, and 35's and he's getting new axles. So he's gonna trade me his axles and wheels and tires ('cause it'll be a dif bolt pattern) So that's why I got to stick with 35's and not go any higher for now 'cause I'm getting a deal on them :)
    But I dunno, right now, 33's and a 2" lift just looks so TINY to me. My dad's run offroad shops for like 20+ years, and every truck he's owned has a huge built big block and is lifted and yada yada, so I've grown up with bigblock and lifted trucks my whole life.... but now I can't stand how puny my truck looks hehe...

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your dad knows what he's talking about.
    It all depends on what you're going to do with your truck. If it's going to be street only then you can get away with 4" and 35s with minor fender trimming on the inside of the front fenders, you don't even notice it. If you're going to be doing some offroading then you'll need the 6" lift. It also depends on how wide your tires are and what kind of backspacing your wheels have.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Welcome to CK5. I'd say stick with 4" if you're going to limit your tire size to 35's. 6" and 35's makes the tires look that much smaller.

A lot of guys here really like the practicality of the low lift/big tire/fender hack...

Like this:

[​IMG]

5" of lift and 40's. :D

Oh, and BTW you don't have to be from Colorado to post here. Fact is the great majority of us are from anywhere but Colorado.

Rene

6. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

:hack: :weld: :grind: will make ANY tire you want fit. :D

7. killerbeez

killerbeez Newbie

Honestly I'm not going to be doing that much wheeling. I did alot in Colorado but this truck has potential to be a nice truck, and I only wheel alot with (albeit good-running) beater trucks hehe. But I'll do some light wheeling, just not enough to potentially break or dent something haha
    And for that same reason I don't want to do any trimming I don't have to :)

So with a 6" as opposed to a 4" I'll need new driveshafts and what else?

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think you'll have to have driveshaft work done either way. The truck I'm building right now has a 4" lift and it already needs the driveshafts lengthened. I'm ripping everything out and putting in a 6" lift and moving the front axle forward 1.5" so it'll need even more d-shaft work. I think it's probably a good idea to have your shafts lengthened either way. Also, if you don't wheel much, you can get away with 4" and 35's with light trimming. If you're into the heavier stuff, you might as well go 6" and hack your fenders.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

4" with 35's and fender timming looks good in my honest opinion. I go for the quality ride, so for off the shelf springs, I would recomend BDS and Tuff Country. If your rear springs are in good shape, think Shackle Flip.