Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help with motor building

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Sep 28, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

what part do i need to hold the sproket onto the crank shaft, i see its a pin that slides in, but what ALL does on the crank shaft. i need to know what i need to order. Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

a woodruf key, prolly less than $1. not sure if it takes the straight one of the curved one. you should be able to tell from the cutuot on the crank.

there are 2 curved ones on a sbc, not sure about the caddy

3. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

That is called a "woodruff key". I don't know if there is a specific name for it as applies to chevy motors, but if you tel someone who knows, that you need the woodruff key that goes on the crankshaft they should know what your talkin' about. If you're ordering it at Kragen or other parts store, good luck!

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Ha! beat me to it. BTW to figure out the size you need, just measure the width of the gap with a mic, prolly somethin' like an 1/8" woodruff key. I think home depot has them in their hardware swection in the drawers of plastic boxes with the specialty hardware in it. My local True Value carries them, bith straight and curved.

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

ok, so i get a "woodruff key" what else goes on there... a harmonic balancer? what is everything that goes on there, i am a noob (duh) and want to know what i need, so i dont have to go back again. Thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes a harmonic balancer will go on there after that sprocket here's a overall pic
    [​IMG]

7. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

better put the timing chain on after you install camshaft then the timing chain cover before you install the balancer. also when you install the balancer use an installation tool. some guys will just pound them on.

8. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

are all balancers the same? or do they make better ones? i see a lot in jegs, but not sure /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif