Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help with my carb? or tranny?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by emoo99, Aug 18, 2004.

1. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure what's wrong now, i've had so many problems with this thing! i have an 86 350, just removed all the computer stuff and put a afb on with a performer intake, set the timing, checked vaccum, just gave it a tune up, i've been playing with the mixture and idle a little and nothing works, when i'm driving and let off the gas it kinda pulls back and slows down, and then when i hit the gas (just barely or really hard) it will kinda jerk forward and the rpm's will "jump" a little right when i touch the gas? i just checked my tv cable and tightened it up a little, i'm shifting at around 3 grand now which is a big difference in power than where it was shifting but it didn't fix the problem, the tranny fluid is full and smells fine and isn't dark at all.. any thing that would cause this "jerking" when i hit the pedal? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

did you remove the heat riser from the exhaust? Maybe it is getting stuck closed....acting like an exhaust brake????

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

not sure what a heat riser looks like, where's it at?

4. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

mine is on the passenger exhaust manifold.....in between the manifold itself and the exhaust pipe.

5. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

also, did you remove the EGR and block off the manifold where it used to mount???

6. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

yea, i have headders..

7. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The TV cable has to be set to a precise setting, not 'adjusted'. There are good instructions at a site I've seen on here recently. Do a search for it, it was only a few days ago.
    Also, isn't the trans partially controlled by your ECU? Maybe your converter isn't locking/unlocking at the right time??

8. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

yea i was thinking that, about the tranny converter, it "was" controlled by the ecu, no i have no more ecu so does it stay locked or unlocked all the time? I've read alot on how to rewire the lockup torque converter clutch selonoid but i'm not that mechanically inclined and i don't have a but load to spend in labor to do it right now.. as for the tv cable, i did a "minor" adjustment so should that be ok?

9. southernspeed

TV HAS to be exact. I think summit and maybe Turbo City do a simple plug in thing for controlling your lockup. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    go to www.tvmadeez.com

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    any thing that would cause this "jerking" when i hit the pedal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Gears to low , converter lock up , TV cable , pinion bearings or wore out rear . Could be a few things .

I can get mine to do that , by leaving it in 2nd gear and driving fast /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    any thing that would cause this "jerking" when i hit the pedal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Gears to low , converter lock up , TV cable , pinion bearings or wore out rear . Could be a few things .

I can get mine to do that , by leaving it in 2nd gear and driving fast /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    yea that's what i feels like alright just not so bad.. also my manifold is non egr

12. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

ok i've been reading up on tv cables and it seems like everyone says [ QUOTE ]
    TV pressure that is too low, will produce main line pressure that is also too low, and will eventually "burn" the transmission clutches.

[/ QUOTE ] so what if the line pressure or tv pressure is too high?, since i tightened my cable wound't that increase pressure.. in the same article it says [ QUOTE ]
    To raise throttle pressure (and raise shift points, and make "kickdown" more responsive) move the cable housing towards the firewall (away from the throttle linkage), as you simultaneously depress the button on the cable housing, move the cable housing away from the carburetor or (throttle body) to increase throttle pressure. Move the cable housing adjustment a small amount at a time (1 click or 1/16" or so), a small adjustment can often make a world of difference. Naturally, to lower the pressure (and lower shift points, and make "kickdown" less sensitive), move the cable housing towards the front.

[/ QUOTE ] So isn't he saying it's ok to adjust the cable?

13. southernspeed

In Part Two and Part Three we will look at what the "internal" TV system components do and why "setting up" the correct starting and ending relationship of the three TV system components is so critical to these transmissions. Before we do so, one extremely important point needs to be made. You may notice that throughout this article, the term "adjusting" the TV cable will carefully avoided. We will do this for a very specific reason. We have read lots of General Motors manuals explaining how to "adjust" the factory TV cable. While most GM publications used the term "adjust", when you actually followed their procedure, what you actually accomplished was to "set" the system to its correct W.O.T. position which will in turn automatically "set" the correct starting position. This Part One will explain this in specific detail. We are not aware of a single GM publication that advocates "adjusting" the TV cable once it has been properly "set". We are not being "anal" about semantics here but commenting on the wide spread belief that the TV cable system can be "adjusted" to make the transmission "act" better. As far as we know, this system was never designed nor intended to be a transmission behavior adjuster. We further feel this is a very dangerous practice being performed by many "professional" transmission shops and mechnanics. Once have read the remainder of Part One, Part Two and Part Three, we believe you will agree with us that once a correct TV relationship is "set", you cannot re-adjust it without creating a problem of some type. Some of these problems are minor but some can shorten the life of the transmission dramatically! Know what the difference is we will explain in Part Three "illnesses".

This is taken from tvmadeez page 'tv 101 article. I know...it's the opposite of what you've read on their other page. Go and read the whole article (link is a tab at the top of their home page TV 101 ARTICLE.) It's really interesting and very informative!

14. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

well part of it was my torque converter locking up when it shouldn't, i unplugged the harness at the tranny and now it doesn't die at stops or when turning a corner.. i richened it up a little and it's doing the lugging thing a little more, i think i'll go back and play with my timing. thanks for the help guys! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif