Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help With My Nerf Bars...Solved!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jc71355, Jun 12, 2002.

1. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I Have Got a poping noise coming from under my seat. I have traced it down to the Step Bars on my truck. I did this by opening the door while i was going down the road and putting my foot on the bar. I can feel it poping when i do this. So i'm thinking that the problem is the step is binding. The tube is welded to a flat piece of metal that is bolted straight to the frame. Just behind the rocker panels the bar has a piece of metal that goes up and there is a bolt going through the body support. I'm thinking that since there is bushings between the body and the frame and there are no bushings on my step bars that this is causing them to bind. Does any one know how to fix this or if there is something else wrong. Would a thick rubber washer on the mount on the body fix this. I was told that the steps have to stay on /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif . I tried tightening all the bolts and everything is snug so i know it's not just loose. Thanks

James

2. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Re: Help With My Step Tubes

This is a picture of the step. I don't think it will help any but if you look close at where the bar turns back towards the frame on the back you can see the mount for the body going up.

Picture of Step

James

3. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I took some pictures of the mounts. Can anyone help???? I'm stumped and don't feel like getting the wrath for taking them off permanetly. Thanks in advance

James

Pictures of the Steps

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I'd try unbolting them from the BODY and just leaving them attached to the frame and see if they stop binding....

5. k5wantabe

k5wantabe Registered Member

I agree. It appears that by being attached to both the body and the frame you get binding. Not so much binding but flexing. The body through the body mount is able to flex independent from the frame. By having the step bolted to both the body and the frame you are in effect tying them together. The step now acts as a brace between the body and frame. You want them to be able to move independent of each other.

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

exactly, if that is the prob you might be able to fix it w/ a link of chain, by cutting down the body bracket, drilling a new hole and linking it so it would flex. Just an idea that came to mind. Did you make those or were they on there when you bought the rig?

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well bolting to the frame and the body causes problems. My personnal feeling is to only attach to the body so the frame can do it's thing. Just have to designe a plate and mounting system to distribute the load accross the length of the rocker and tie into the cab mounts to handle the rotational forces of the weight of the vehicle out on the end.
    If your insistant on going to the frame and body then you need to put a bushing where it meets the body os that when the frame gets moving in some other dirrection than the body is going your have a place for some give.
    No going down a flat level road you should not have much frame flexing going on. this noise may not be the nurfs. I would start by checking a few other things like suspension bushings. The bushings at the rear of the front springs tend to give it up and sometimes let the spring eye hit the frame. I would also spend some time going over the frame and checking where the crossmembers are bolted and rivited to the rails and make sure none of the bolts or rivits are missing or lose. This is something I would recomend dooing at least once a year more if you wheel the truck regularly.

8. MR.GADGET

MR.GADGET Registered Member

Mine was poping under the driver seat. I found it the be the bolt that holds the seat in place hitting
    the shield for the cat and when I took the bolt out and used a few washers it didnt go through far enough
    to hit and it only hit when the frame flexed a lot . Now with new body mounts and 1" body lift it has no chance of hitting.
    Jon

9. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Grim,
    I know that the Sway-Bar bushings are worn out and collapsed, but the bushings have been like this for a while, and this is a new problem. All others appear to be ok, but i will check agian and take a closer look.

Jon,
    I will check what you said. I just got duals put on so this could have changed something to make it rattle.

Thank you to everyone for helping. I will crawl under there again when i get off this evening to see what is going on and let ya'll know what i find.

Thanks Again,
    James

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: Help With My Nerf Bars

I just thought of something else to check. Some years are very prone to developing cracks in the floor board around the bolt holes for the seat. Check that.

11. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Like chevyfumes suggested, take them off entirely and see if the popping noise goes away ... process of elimination. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yeah I had that problem and fixed it when i replaced part on my floor. It did that exact thing, POP POP

13. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Problem Solved /forums/images/icons/grin.gif . After making sure all of the bolts were tight it was still making the sound. I began taking the steps off and the first bolt i took off was the one that held the brace that went to the body. When i got the bolt out the whole brace fell off. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif The weld broke where the brace was welded to the bar and it held close enough to not be able to tell if it was broke by looking at it. Ended up taking all of them off because i believe that they will eventually break and the bars are strong enough without them. Thank you to everyone who helped.

James