Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with my options please need to make up my mind on short notice!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Paxx, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Ok, I bought a 77 k20 350/350/203 d44/14bff 4:10's for $375 with a shot tranny. I can now fix my rear end and upgrade my gears for cheap. My problem is that I have a set of 35" BFG's that I want to use. I need to decide on one of the following options.

Do I
    a) Buy the 2.5" lift springs from a buddy and use rear 2.5 or 3" lift blocks.

b) Use the 3/4ton front springs up front with the positve arch to replace the negative arched stock fronts. Gain an unkown amount of lift and try to match the rear. (I forgot to measure the springs /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

c) /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Leave it stock height and hack the fenders even more than I would have to with 2" of lift and keep a low center of gravity. (and save me a bit of coin /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

My metal will see this /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif soon enough anyways so I am not afraid to lose the sheet metal /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I have to make up my mind by tomorrow though because I have shop time available.

Could use any ideas or input on my ideas.
    Thanks alot guys /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    ~Max

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

My opinion for a mild rig would be a 3-4" soft lift (TC or BDS) and a home made shackle flip and some mild trimming. That's what I have for our mild wheeler running 35" BFGs. Nice balance of looks, CoG height, clearance, on road handling, flex, and off-road capability. I also hate blocks... Same basic cost as your 2-3” lift with added benefits IMO.

[Edit] BTW, to save a few bucks, you might try those 3/4 tons with a leaf removed (to soften up) and maybe a slightly longer shackle. That should give you something in the neighborhood of a 2" lift. Then add a 2-3” block in the back (whatever to keep it level, hate that saggy but look) and give it a whirl…

3. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Yeah this is a fairly temporary stage of the build-up so that is the only reason I am even considering blocks.

I already have the 35's and the swap is going down tonight so I would like to throw in a super quick and easy lift for a short period of time just to make it work right now.

Plus there is nowhere in town that would carry a lift spring in stock. For where I live I doubt I could even find extended shackles here.

thnx for the input though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

swap axles and springs over as one unit. then put the 35's on and trim/hack fenders as needed.
    grant

5. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Well I ended up buying the lift springs off of my buddy. I couldn't do the swap though because I forgot to get the U-bolts b4 the place closed. Oh well monday /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif