Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with new alternator

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wy4tt, Apr 30, 2005.

1. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

Feb 20, 2005
    I just replaced the stock alternator in my '79 Jimmy. Some einstein put the wrong size pully on it, so I figured I'd just go with a reman to get things going again. Well, I screwed up and I ground something out....and sparks flew. Forgot to take that Neg off the battery. I know. Idiot. So, I burned out a fusible link, and replaced that. After fixing that, and checking other fuses, I cranked it up.

Started up fine, but when I checked the stock Voltage gauge, it showed the alternator was putting out close to 16 (in the red zone). Idle, it dropped down to 14 or so. My question is, is it likely that I fried a voltage regulator in the alternator? I don't know much about them, so if there's another possibility, throw it at me.

I've also been reading about a higher output alternator some guys are using with success. I may have to look at that after I figure this out. Thanks for any info guys!