Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with planning 14SF swap...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigblazer87, Jan 26, 2007.

1. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

I've found this in my area: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/268906908.html

If I'm not mistaken, that is an 8 lug 14 bolt SF, and since it says they're out of an 80's Chevy truck, it should bolt into my K5. I'm rolling around with stock 3.08 10 bolts and 39.5" TrXus' (time bomb, I know), and would like to put in a beefier axle before I waste money re-gearing the 10 bolt. I need to keep the 6 lugs front and rear because of a lack of funds, so what is involved in converting this 8 lug 14SF to 6 lugs? I've searched for the remainder of threads I need concerning the 14SF swap (specs and brake setup), but I still would like to have this thread to ask questions when I need to. If this is the right axle I need, and should get, I'll pick it up then spend my time gathering info and rebuilding it until the summer when I can work full-time, and fill it with 5.13's and some limited-slip. If this is the wrong axle to pick up, please direct me to the correct axle for my application. Also, if there are any tips you have for the swap, please post here. Thank you.

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you plan on wheeling your truck then you should consider a 14 bolt full floater and the fact that a front 6 lug axle will not survive under your tires.

$500 is high for my area, especially since he doesn't state the ratio and you want to convert the bolt pattern. a 14ff can be bought for $100. there are literally millions of them. 8 lug hubs for the front are plentiful too. I just looked at a 14/10 combo with 4.10 gears that the guy wanted $300 for. the gear ratio is better then what you have now and it's a good starting point for eventually swapping in a dana 60 front axle.

when it comes to lack of funds I understand. but if you are going to do it, then only do it once.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

According to his individual pricing, he's high.

Front axle is way high for a 10 bolt, and 8 lug rears are too common to net that much money.

Not worth going to the 14SF on cost alone if you are looking at 6 lug. New axles, new brakes, all pricey enough to just get the right piece in the first place.

I don't know as I'd have any qualms with a 14SF even with tires as large as yours (open for debate I know, just my opinion) but either find one that is 6 lug in the first place, or buck up and go 60/14FF.

I paid $300 for my 14SF 6 lug, and it bolted into my truck. I wouldn't have even paid that much, but I'd been holding out for the exact ratio I needed.

4. bigblazer87

Sorry, but to clarify this is my daily driver; it never goes off road (i've got a K10 for that). I'm just looking for a rear axle because my front is fully rebuilt and in good condition, but my rear axle worries me. If I had the money, I'd love to swap in 1 tons or do a 3/4 ton swap, but I'm 16 and can only work full-time during the summer. So what vehicle am I looking for if I want a 6 lug 14SF? It'd be nice if the spring perches lined up for my K5, but if they need moved, it's no big deal for me. Thanks again.

5. dyeager535

Not sure exact years, but it would be for sure '88+ body style, some half tons, some 3/4's. Perches will need moved, but the axle can be as wide as the front, which can be nice.

Not the only apps (trucks) but it seems they are more consistent on the width.

6. chris walker

chris walker Registered Member

just get an 80's axle and buy the new axles and brake drums from a junk yard then put a lock right in it Im going to get a 14-sf then make it FF but thats not what you asked so sorry I just want people to stop calling this axle junk not every body needs its big brother!

7. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

no one called them junk. we simply pointed out that that particular axle was not the one he should start with. He would be $$$ ahead if he started with a 6 lug axle.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

IMO, if you are going to rebuild and regear,you might as well start with a 14BFF.

I run a 14BSF, its stock on my truck, but I am waping in a FF so that if I do break a shaft I can still drive and my tire does not pass me on the trail.

9. bigblazer87

Thanks, looks like I'm on the lookout for one of those "heavy" 1/2-tons with a 14SF. I'll keep a lookout on craigslist, but I'll probably try out the junkyard in the coming weeks to try and find one in good condition. So should I be paying $100 or so for one?

10. chris walker

chris walker Registered Member

but others call it junk but your right FF are cheaper

11. dyeager535

If you've got to regear and cut/weld perches, $100-200 is what *I'd* pay. Lots more time/money to be sunk into it if you don't get exactly what you need first off.

If it's exactly what you need, or very close (no re-gearing) it's probably worth the extra money to get it. Wrecking yards around here won't sell any axle for less than $300 from what I've seen.

12. bigblazer87

Yeah, the junkyards around here are pretty expensive for drivetrain parts too. I'll just keep perusing craigslist for a Z71 or some other "heavy 1/2 ton" that somebody's parting out. Thanks again.

13. dyeager535

Well, some light 3/4's will have them too, and I was *told* that my 14SF was originally in a Yukon IIRC. I really don't know all the other vehicles they came in, but the trucks will be the easiest to find.

14. Gaffed

Gaffed 1/2 ton status

So the axle out of an 88+ truck is the same width as the stock blazer front axle? Just the perches and shock mounts need to be moved.

The optimal rear out of those trucks is the Z71 and 3/4 ton set-ups?

15. dyeager535

It isn't just the Z71, that's an off-road package IIRC.

I *believe* if you find a half ton with a 14SF, it will be one of the trucks designated 1500HD. I could be wrong, I'm not an expert on the later trucks.

Some 14SF's are the same width as our fronts (68" IIRC, it's in my "14SF tech" thread) and again I can only assume all 188+ trucks share the same width axles.

16. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Oh come on, I don`t want to hear it..I`m 17, in school, and practically working full time....;)

17. bigblazer87

Well sure, I could be working in school right now too, but I'm in AP classes and am having enough trouble keeping up with the work load as it is. I don't want to screw up my future because of a want for 1 tons in my truck; that would be foolish on my part. Trust me, I think a lot about my situation, and I'm doing the best I can, so I don't want to hear it.

18. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I happen to be pushing 2 AP classes myself.:D

19. Gaffed

Gaffed 1/2 ton status

So, 6-lug 4wds on the 88+ then 99+ on the 1500HD's and 3/4 tons

20. bigblazer87

Fun, eh? :p: