Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with planning Blazer body swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dave_90_blazer, Jan 1, 2004.

1. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

Hi all, this is my first post,

Heres some background

90 Blazer Silverado, freshly built 355, rebuilt 700R4,rebuilt NP231, rebuilt 10 bolts frt & rear, 4" lift(I think, was on truck when I bought it)

this truck looks ok at first glance, other than the rockers, but the floor is shot(with some previous pacthing attempts) and I just found lots of rot in the tailgate & opening, and I am wondering if you all would think that a body swap would be the way to go?

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Well I would say that depends on where you live. If you're in the rust belt, you're better off fixing all the rust you can with patch panels and hope for the best. If you're out west or south, might look around for a solid body to swap on, they seem to be pretty plentiful out there. Anywhere east of the Mississippi you're hard pressed to find a rust-free classic Chevy going for less than its weight in gold. Best of luck to you!

3. dave_90_blazer

that is what I was thinking, I am in MI, but will travel to get a body

I'll post pics and see how involved you guys think it would be to patch

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

First off... Welcome!
    You blazer sounds about like my silver blazer. I put a new GM Bedfloor in it. About $400 with discount ($500 if you can even find them now). Pretty easy swap. Rockers are definaly a bit more into it. Parts are readily avalible (LMC JC Whiteny etc)

Here's my rebuild pages Rebuild page 1 thru 5... hope that helps out in ideas /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. dave_90_blazer

what other places can I look for parts, other that JCWhitney and LMC(thanks for LMC)?

6. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Since you said you'd be willing to travel to get a body, check these guys out. Rust Free Autoparts This is where Igot my new Burb body from and I think a couple others on here have bought from them as well. If you give them a call I'm sure they can find what you want easily.

BTW I only spent $2150 installed on an '88 conversion Burb body 0 rust! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

theres a "links post" around here somewhere that has them all listed... seems like there is about 5 or 6 places

Tabco body parts is another off the top of my head

8. dave_90_blazer

Thanks all, I will start saving, but when I pull the interior in the spring, I will decide if I can patch it, I think I can