Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP with putting Limited Slip back together

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89BlazerK5, Aug 18, 2003.

1. 89BlazerK5

89BlazerK5 1/2 ton status

i have an Auburn Posi for my 10 bolt front. trying to put that bitch back together. have the cluster gears in the carrier. trying to get that spring mechanism sid into there. Auburn says to use a C clamp, and steel plates to compress it, then slide it in by hammering on it. as soon as that bitch slides out of the clamp, it spreads back apart, and will not fit in between the cluster gears!!!!! i am about to give up on this bitch. are there any tips or tricks to get this sucker in??????

2. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

use a big zip strip or two to compress the springs and plates then put it in. The zip strip worked for me, it better be a real big one. Compress the springs and plates in a vise and install the zip strip slowly opening the vise. you can usually just start the front of the plates into the carrier and use a rubber mallet to pop the pack into the carrier. I used the real heavy springs in my eaton and it is a bitch to get together, maybe another set of hands might help.

3. 89BlazerK5

89BlazerK5 1/2 ton status

well, i was using a C clamp with big steel plates to compress it. and as soon as it slid far enough away from the C clap, it would spread back out. i solved this by jamming 6 stacked bigass washers into the back end to keep the back seperated, and the front compressed. this did the trick. it's all together now. thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif