Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with quick diagnosis PLEASE!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lehtola, Aug 12, 2002.

1. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

Sort of a dumb question but...I've got the stock automatic hubs...never had a problem with them. I decided I'd get some warn manual hubs when my auto stock hubs went out. How can you tell when your hubs go out? I mean if both go at the same time...I'm sure you could feel it...but explain it. If I went outside and wanted to check...could I just crawl underneath and turn the front driveshaft or what? If the transfer case is not egaged in 4x4 should I be able to freely rotate my front drive shaft?

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

if you already have the warns just put them in now you dont want the autos going out on you when you need them the most lol just put the warns in now and be done with it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

You dont want to find out the hard way when they are not working together. That would be the more expensive route. Just sue an extra person today and go buy a set. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Sup ol chum? Long time no see!! How's it been going?

4. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

I don't have the hubs yet. Still trying to diagnose the problem.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

since you dont have them yet just go get a set of warn premiums they are only about $10 more than the regular warns and just put them in and junk the auto hubs /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

When mine "failed" (which was never very consistent) the truck, when the hubs SHOULD have been locked in, amde a buzzing noise consistent with engine RPM.

Typically this noise occurred when the truck was sitting at the bottom of a creek bed, attempting to climb out, or when there was snow on the road, but no problems on flat, open, dry dirt paths. (where you don't even need them)

I went to the wrecking yard and grabbed some factory spicer manual hubs from an earlier 4wd truck. Bolt on, and good quality. Cheap too lol.