Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with rear shocks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Haulgas, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Haulgas

Haulgas 1/2 ton status

I broke my left rear upper shock mount and the right side frame is cracked all around the bolt. I was thinking about doing the inboard relocation untill I did a search and saw that some guys had problems with the rear leaning to much in curves and off camber stuff for a daily driver. So what other options do I have? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Alot of conditions have to be considered with the inboard setup. If you have stiff shocks, the inboard setup could help by reducing some of the dampening(making the shock seem softer which could give a better ride).

Also it seems that many of those who were stating that they have stability problems were running really soft rear springs(such as the 57" furd springs). I run stock rear springs with a shackle flip and dont have problems with stability.

I made my relocation bracket and I didnt move the shocks all the way to center(such as 55willys setup). The mount I made puts the top of the shocks about 6" apart and I made new lower mount that are about 1" or so from the spring perches.

The only problem I have with mine is that I didnt take into consideration I still had to install my 2" body lift so Im gonna have to make a new mount since I will be able to go another 2" higher. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

If you would like, I can take pics if it would help at all.

3. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]
    I just made this setup. its nothing more than 2" flatbar 1/4 thick weld around the axle and 2" angle 1/4 inch thick for a cross member. Some have said they had trouble with the angle but i'll have to wait and see.

4. Haulgas

Haulgas 1/2 ton status

Outlaw,
    If it not to much trouble I sure would like to see some Pic's. I Pm'ed 55Willy but haven't heard from him yet.
    Thanks

5. Haulgas

Haulgas 1/2 ton status

Sapper,
    Please yet us know.. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Ill get some for ya. Ill let ya know when i post them.

7. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

well so far so good. i took it out tonite and hit some pretty bad bumps at around 65 mph and all is good. i would say initally that this will work unless you are going to go out and play Dukes of Hazard /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Haulgas

Haulgas 1/2 ton status

Thanks guy's for the help /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Sorry that it took so lond, but Im in the process of doing a body lift so i waited to get pictures till I took the bed off so you could see it better. I put them in my webshots.