Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help with rear suspension setup!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by basing110, Oct 1, 2005.

1. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

im about to get paid again and i need to order up my rear suspension stuff ... right now i am netting about 7-8" up front via 2" lift 52's zero rate and 7.25 eye to eye shackles.

for the rear i already have a ord 4" shackle flip, i am thinking that i want to do the ford 57" swap in the rear and flip the shackle flips around. and run a 1" zero rate to move the axle back an inch to center it back up with the wheelwell so that would be 5" lift that i know of .. also i will need to run 7.25 eye to eye shackles from what it seems to get my travel so how much will that get me in lift? how else can i get some more lift to match the front? keep in mind i am building a truck that would be able to compete in top truck so i need to try and limit axle wrap etc... so big blocks is not an option... how would you build your rear if you were me?

2. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

3. ksblaze83

ksblaze83 1/2 ton status

why not run 63's in the rear and a shackle flip?

4. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

with 63's ill have to move the front mount it least 4" more forward and i think 57's would flex good enough

5. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

the 57s are really thin, a buddy had them on a full size chebby in the rear and busted on of the main leafs, he decided to replace the main leaf and then snapped another one. i dont remember if it was the same pack or the other one but the 57s are really thin leafs.

6. PsychoticDeadGuy

oh, and i will be doing the 63 swap next weekend since i dont live close enough to Pomona to go to the off road expo... :mad: :mad: but i plan on doing a pretty good write up on it with alot of pics to help out fellow CK5ers that want to do the swap...

7. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

sweet yea im going to offroad expo .... should be fun i guess ... you putting the write up and pics viewable to us non paying guys? ... ill have to get my membership in another 2 paychecks since all my money is going into the blazer for haloween trip and i must have it ready

8. PsychoticDeadGuy

im not a paying member...i wish i had the money right now....but, i hope you have fun at the expo and take lots of pics and post them all up on here.

9. ksblaze83

ksblaze83 1/2 ton status

With the 63's you can just move the shackle to damn near the end of the frame and get some longer shackles and you're good to go. 57's will flex pretty good, just thin like stated before.

10. PsychoticDeadGuy

but that also puts the axle back about 5"...it also kinda looks hack. i will be moving both hangers so i can keep my current wheel base. i think it looks alot cleaner.

11. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

yea i wanna keep my 110" wheelbase so moving rear axle is not an option ... im trying to figure out how much more lift i will need ... i would be at 5" with shackle flip and zero rate but my front is 7-8" how can i make up that 2"??
    their has got to be some more people out their that can help me out.. what about stock 56" rear springs in the rear?? will that move my axle back at all??

Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  12. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

what are you running

with 110" wb

1st gen k-5 = 104"
    2nd gen k-5 = 106.5"
    2nd gen swb = 115"

is 1st gen truck 110"?

13. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

no i already did 52" swap and moved axle forward via zero rate 1.5" also

14. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

????

confused...so you have a 2nd gen k-5 at 106.5.....zero rate 1.5" = 108"...does 52" spring move axel forward 2"....just curious? not try'n to tell you that you are wrong. does it stick out like a sore thumb when you move your axel forward in the wheel well, i've been thinking of doing the 1.5" zero rate for firewall clearance but wonder what it would look like. and does the draglink have enuff adjustment to still work with these?

15. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

It gives you the option to if you reverse them, but if you put them on the way they were designed they won't... The pin is at 26" instead of centered if that makes any sense.