Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with rebuilding ideas for my SBC WITH TURBOS?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, Mar 27, 2003.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

As many of you know, I am swapping in a TBI 454 into my K5, so now I need to take on yet another project and start tinkering on my 350 that is currently in my K5 until the BBC finds its new home..

It is an 1987 block (1-piece, TBI) that I was gonna rebuild to toss in my 1971 C10 shortie...Then I went to my local speed shop and was shootin the sh!t with the guys there and they planted the seed of turbocharging it and bumping it to 383ci...

I am pretty gung ho on the 383 idea, but I know next to nothing about turbocharging a SBC...I would like to stick with a Carb...$$$ will be a little tighter for this build after my BBC so lets keep it as inexpensive as possible...

I was going to rebuild the bottom end right (Eagle ESP crank and rods, Weisco pistons, Splayed main caps) I will probably go with some Brodix 18X heads or similar...

Now how do I go about turbo'ing this thing? I know I will need some kind of custom headers and a custom airbox but what size turbo do I use? any help you be appreciated...I just kinda have an itching to make my C10 a balls-to-the-wall sleeper capable of some serious speed...Would twin turbos simplify exhaust routing (1 turbo per bank instead of routing the exhaust under the oilpan to the turbo on the other side?) And I don't want a super charger...too much $$$...Turbos are cheap and make mad power...

Chris

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

well tuning will be a bitch, airbox won't be cheap, twins would probably be easier. Don't get 2 diff turbos though. Forged crank, forged pistons, and connecting rods just like with a sueprcharger. Wouldn't run over 8:1 compression especially pushing twin turbos. Good flowing headers and cam are a very good idea as well as a or some big carbs. If i were to do it I would probably spend as much asi would just sticking a Weiand 871 on top of the engine.

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

You need to run both banks together for the turbo to run thru. Dual or not. I am not the best informed at them but I think if your gonna run 2, get 1 smaller than the other so they spool up at different speeds. The small one will spool up fast then the bigger one will come in slower but give mad boost. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

IMHO go EFI. A carb works off vacuum, and there are 2 ways to run a carb. Draw thru and blow thru. Draw thru the carb is mounted on the piping and the turbos suck the air in, thru the carb. A blow thru will put it on top of the intake, and, well, blow thru the carb. EFI will be a better and more tuneable bet on this, its not affected by vac. or pressure.

And again, IMHO, Id go EFI and a Paxton. OR go whole hog and plop a nice 671 on there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

HEHE looks like SD dissagrees w/ me on the 2 different sizes. I was typing mine when he posted his.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

**** turbocharging it !!!! It's not a ricer. If you want to spend some money, SUPERCHARGE it !!!!!!! Turbo's are great on the Diesel engines, but for a SBC, go with a BLOWER !!!!! You can get the under the hood units like Paxton if you wanta be sneeky.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you're gonna play with turbos, you're gonna eventually spend some cash. Turbos may be cheap, but you WILL want to crank up the boost more and more over time. There's a threshold where you need to have the heads o-ringed so that you aren't changing head gaskets every weekend. They also create a lot more heat in the airstream than a supercharger, so then you're shopping for intercoolers. The price on those bad boys will get the ol' heart rate up! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Pick up a couple of books on turbocharging and start reading. There are also some magazines that specialize in turbos, but I think they're mostly aimed at the ricer and Mustang crowd. But the theory of operation is still the same. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2 small turbos will typically provide boost at a lower RPM, while still having the ability to move enough air to provide good boost at the top end. A single large turbo will make mad power once it spools up, but if not sized properly it will be a dog until 3,000 RPM or so. Then it makes the jump to Warp Speed. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. porboy

porboy Registered Member

You also need to take into account that you will need some kind of fuel enrichment system so that your fuel pressure advances as the boost increases. If you go turbo with carbs then you will have to deal with sealing all the carbs orifices so it doesn't spray fuel out while under boost.(blow thru applications). There is plenty of power to be had with turbos, but for Chevy's (or any big motor) a supercharger makes more sense econmically and for headaches sake. My .02

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

A supercharger is easier to tune and makes a nice torque curve. Turbos will require a lot more fabrication and tuning (although the waste gate simplifies that a bit). I don't think that you wil actually get a turbo set up running for less $$ than a supercharger setup.

Either way, keep the compression ratio low. 7.5:1 for higher boost. A stock 8-8.5:1 ratio should be OK for lower boost levels.

Boost = /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Or if you really want something cheap and easy, get the squeeze for the same effect. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Turbos are much more efficient than a supercharger or blower. Turbos build max power low and hold there, supercharging is belt drive(eats power to make power) and output depends on how fast the motor is turning. Turbos run off the exhaust and are "free" power since they dont have the parasitic drag of the supercharger or blowers.

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Here's a Chevelle from one of the goodguys car shows i put my car in.. This dude was running like a fuel injected, twin turbo 383, putting out 22 lbs of max boost and he said it was good for 900-1000 HP. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif And he was trying to hook it up with like 28x10.50x15 M/T ET street tires. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif And it was all under the hood too. Can you say sleeper. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    I'll post the pics here so you can get some ideas. He had business cards of a local turbo shop that can do this kind of stuff. The sky is the limit when you got money, dude. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I've dreamed of twin turbos in my K5, but I'll settle for the 6-71 Blower i got in the garage waiting to be used. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    [​IMG]
    Check out the two intercoolers in front of the radiator.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If you look close the guy was running a special plate between the heads and headers so the headers had 4 bolts per exhaust port instead of like 2.
    [​IMG]

And then heres the same car at hot august nights last year:
    [​IMG]

Good luck man! I'm way interested to see someone do this. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'd hate to have to change the spark plugs on that beast! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Turbos are much more efficient than a supercharger or blower.

[/ QUOTE ] A supercharger IS a blower. Blower is just a nickname for a supercharger.

13. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

Going with this type of system, will be a huge $$$ project. You will most likely need to have a custom exhaust manifolds made, wastegate control, and tuning a 383 will be very difficult with a CARB. You better off to go with something like this for your fuel/Spark system: Electromotive

Good turbos are not cheap compared to purchasing a bolt on supercharger....especially setting up 2 chargers to work together. Are you going to add an intercooler?

Good luck!

14. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Turbos are much more efficient than a supercharger or blower. Turbos build max power low and hold there, supercharging is belt drive(eats power to make power) and output depends on how fast the motor is turning. Turbos run off the exhaust and are "free" power since they dont have the parasitic drag of the supercharger or blowers.

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY...Plus, everybody and their fricken brother that wants to pressurize a Chevy goes with a 6-71 roots blower..I wanna be different... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I want it all to fit in uinder the stock hood too...Plus with turbos, it will keep the sleeper image until I lay into the skinny pedal... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif With a honkin blowr sticking through the hood and than damn whistling ALL THE TIME, I kinda give myself away... I think I will heed the FI recommendation and inject it...but I think I am going to stick with my turbo idea.... I don't really care about all the fab work with the air box and the headers; isn't that why we have welders? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

I will probably build the 383 and drive it in the truck and slowly get parts together for the turbos /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I like that electromotive kit...looks pretty sweet...Since I will most likely go FI, I will probably go with a F.A.S.T. system, pluss the guy would build my FI system also puts the motor on an engine dyno to tune it...

Chris

15. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

You could always go with a centrifugal supercharger....I forget the company that makes it but I could get the pamphlet if you want the name.

16. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

The F.A.S.T. system is the way to go. They make things much easier, and you can setup programs for certain gas, so I you want to run on 91 or race gas. That is how my buddy sets all of his up so people can drive on the street, and switch programs and run at the track.

Dan

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It's been a few years sence I've seen one, but there used to be a under the hood supercharger like a paxton that you could turn on and off like a A/C system, so you wouldn't have the whisle all the time. I don't remember the name of the system, somethinng like Elctroclutch Superdharger. It was FI, I remember that much.

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't disagree pureinsanity I had never heard the 2 different sized turbo setup. Sounds like a good idea. One comment I woudl like to make is for max boost and top end power I don't think a 383 is the way to go. 383s are generally lower rev powerband engines say below 5500, for turbos I would personally want to be running up 6000+ to maximize boost. I too would liek to build a turbo SBC btu I am not spending the money on it. My next and first turbo project will be a Twin Turbo Dodge Cummins, I hope to get the truck this summer and have the setup up and running by next summer /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Can you imagine seeing a dually Dodge pull into the track towing a Pro Street Nova and then unhook and run a 13? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I dream but hey why not huh?

19. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

It's kinda funny, not to be cynical but, everybody keeps saying "u gotta do this & its gonna cost money yada yada yada" Anyways, I knew a guy who put a turbo on his landcruiser. Got it outa the junkyard and fabbed all plumbing outa exaust tubing. Man, that thing would hual a$$ plus he got 18-20mpgs!! Do what u want with what u have and evrything will be fine /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

fine it worked out for him bnut this isn't a land cruiser. What is a landcruiser an inline 6? This is a small block 350 stroked out to a 383, and its a V engine not an inline(guessing the landcruiser was).