Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with removing smog stuff and some newb questions*pics*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Sep 22, 2005.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

My quest is to have a clean engine compartment with only the essentials to make the engine run.
    First up is to take off all the smog crap, I plan to get a aluminum manifold to do away with all the smog ports and such.
    But I want to remove the charcol canister at the moment and anything else that yall can spot in the pics that can be removed.
    I have figured I can take off most of the canister lines except 2 that I am wondering about. Here in the pic the line that the white arrow is pointing to, can it be removed or do I need to take it off and cap off the inlet in the carb??
    The black arrow shows the line that runs to the manifold but t's off and has a line running to some other unhooked smog stuff. I can just run it straight fromt he carb to the manifold correct??
    Also in the last pic the white arrow points to the gas tank breather hose, can I just put a breather on it like you would on a diff breather??
    Keep in mind I know jack diddly squat about engine componenets, so fell free to tell me if anything looks fubared.
    Thanks
    -Chris
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    It is illegal to remove those parts, its call Tampering. :(
    Besides that if they are in decent working order they do not
    hurt HP, or low end Torque. :doah:
    Learn how they work, and our Air/planent will thank you. :D

3. 85mudblazin

This is a trail only rig, did you not ready what I wrote??? I said I want just the essentials to run the engine. I dont want all this extra crap in there. There is no smog pump and half of the smog lines are not connected to anything so there is no point in keeping any of it.
    So anyone know what all i can take off??

4. big4x4ride

big4x4ride 1/2 ton status

Sounds like Tree-Huggin Al Gore is a member of the forum here :D

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Of all of them, leave EVAP, and that is simply because your tank is thus not really "vented" anywhere that water could get in. Venting a tank without EVAP is pretty difficult to do, and I have yet to come up with a better vent system.

AIR and EVAP are probably the two most complex pieces, but on the 80's carbed stuff, your vacuum advance, lockup, EGR and probably some other stuff add clutter and vacuum switches compared to early setups, but aren't exactly necessary.

Of course, if it runs good now, taking that stuff off will more than likely cause problems, that's about a given.

6. 85mudblazin

I really just want to get the charcol canister out of the way since I will be removing the inner fenders pretty soon.
    What is everyone doing that has taken theres out and has a gas tank still??

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm running an early vented gas cap, but so far (for me) those have been impossible to find new.

I wish I would have left the cannister in mine. With the later ECM controlled EVAP purge, I believe some of the vacuum lines are gone that are shown in your picture.

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

yep got to be a tree hugger if you like breathing clean air thats for shure :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad:

9. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    My quest is to have a clean engine compartment with only the essentials to make the engine run.
    First up is to take off all the smog crap, I plan to get a aluminum manifold to do away with all the smog ports and such.
    But I want to remove the charcol canister at the moment and anything else that yall can spot in the pics that can be removed.
    I have figured I can take off most of the canister lines except 2 that I am wondering about. Here in the pic the line that the white arrow is pointing to, can it be removed or do I need to take it off and cap off the inlet in the carb??
    The black arrow shows the line that runs to the manifold but t's off and has a line running to some other unhooked smog stuff. I can just run it straight fromt he carb to the manifold correct??
    Also in the last pic the white arrow points to the gas tank breather hose, can I just put a breather on it like you would on a diff breather??
    Keep in mind I know jack diddly squat about engine componenets, so fell free to tell me if anything looks fubared.
    Thanks
    -Chris

No i can't read or right, only polut on the trail

10. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

first pic, pull it and plug the carb, second, black arrow where?, third, yes, but I reccommend running a hose off the vent tube to as high up the core support or firewall as you can, then putting a breather on the end of the hose

11. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If it runs correctly I'd honestly leave it be. I know it's a lot easier to work in an uncluttered engine compartment but the extra time you spend working around stuff would probably be nothing compared to the time you'd spend trying to make the truck run right if something got messed up.

That being said...Executioner, go look up statistics on the levels of hydrocarbons and airborne pollutants released by lawn mowers every year, and then find statistics for four stroke OHV's like ours.