Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help with replacing rear seal on NP208

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scott87, Mar 3, 2002.

1. scott87

scott87 Registered Member

Need to replace the rear seal on a NP208 (rear output shaft). I did a search on this, but didn't find specifics. It seems rather easy to do. Just pop old one out, put new seal in. Anything else? Use any gasket sealer like RTV? Any tips that you found helpful?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I did it, and it was a bit of a PITA. You pull the driveshaft, and pop the seal out. If you don't have a seal puller it can be a PITA. I don't have one, and I started by trying to pry it out with a screw driver. I was able to pop up a lip but that was it. I tried that for a while, and got real pissed off. I took a BF screwdriver (flatblade) and a 2 lb slegdehammer, put the screwdriver in the lip I had pryed up, and hit it real hard with the sledge. After a few good smacks of the sledge it popped right out. Then I just tapped in the new seal, and was done.

Also tranny fluid will leak everywhere so have something to catch it in unless you don't mind tranny fluid all over the place. You will need to fill the tcase back up with tranny fluid after you get the driveshaft back in too.

3. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

jack the back of the truck up and put it on jackstands so the oil goes forward and not very much will come out . then do it like hoss said but a lil more gentle that alum will break if too much force is applied .