Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with rust on my Burb

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric M., Sep 13, 2006.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I bought a 91 Burb about 4 or 5 years ago. I checked high and low for rust and it was clean. Now I've got the usualy Burb rust at the roof lines. At the tops of the rear glass, at the roof joints in the door jambs and really bad at the holes around the roof rack. I know this is pretty common to all Burbsm but, I need to make a decision. I could fix it, but, what will prevent it from happening again or in different areas? Is there a seal issue with the roofs in Burbs? Anything I can do to prevent further rust from happening? I have 5 other GM trucks, all 73 to 87 / 91. all older than the Burb, and all less rust! The trucks do sit out in San Francisco.

Is there hope, or should i just consider purchasing a Burb .... or something else just as big.

Do the later generation Burbs rust like the 73 to 91 Burbs?

Thanks,

Eric M.

2. GaBnn3

GaBnn3 Registered Member

I noticed no one answered your post, so here's some thoughts. I can't say it won't keep happening, even if you fix it, and couldn't say the same for mine either. I bought a MiG welder and intend to keep cutting and welding metal into mine to fix any and all rust, until I can't make or find another piece to replace what's rusted. No vehicle has the utility that a Suburban does, and with me, it's the case of love that a guy has for his truck, that determines if you fix it or ditch it. I got my '88 burb in 1990, when my oldest was 6. She's 21 now. I've been able to fit all 5 of my kids in the truck, with the third seat in, and bring all our luggage on annual vacation, without being too crowded, all the while they were growing up. This 4x4 has gotten me through winters in the northeast, with no worries. My wife loves it. With the third seat down, the bed measures the same as a pick up, so you can carry 4'x8' sheets of building material, which made it great for those home projects, or work as the case may be. From a front windshield corner, to the opposite rear bed corner, it measures 12', so you can carry a rolled up rug. Not to mention that that 5.7L engine just won't die. This truck has been everything I needed it to be, when I needed it. If you can afford to buy something new, when you get frustrated with what you've got, your lucky indeed. That's not the case with me. But, even if it was, I would be loyal to mine, 'til death do us part.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Eric
    Where youlive the ocean salt air will always get you, unless you do something to protect it.
    There are some products you can drill holes in the body and inject to protect from rust on the inside then you can prep the outside properly and you should have a better product.
    I can't remember now the names but I can do some searching and find them like I did before when I needed it.
    I had a K5 on the mediteranean sea so it was rust all the time until I did that.

4. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Yeah,

If you can remeber the name of the product, that would be great.

Thanks,

Eric