Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help with some a/c, heater stuff

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fknfbm53559, Dec 19, 2000.

1. fknfbm53559

fknfbm53559 Registered Member

ok i have a 79 k-5 and it came with the factory air conditioning but during the 21 years its been passed around, someone has gotten rid of the compressor on it. i have one that an old friend of mine gave me its just that i dont have the brackets, wiring harnesses, and other junk needed to hook it up. any idea on where i could get this stuff? also my a/c heater only works when i turn it on the highest setting. the one under high might work a little bit but if it does its barely operating. any assistance would be greatly appreicated

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

hit the local junk yard for the brackets. Any V8 equiped late 70's GM should have them. Your balast resisters are hosed is the reason for the fan speed problem. As I recall it is located on the A/C box under the hood. it will have 5 to six wires into the plug and bolted into the box. the part is like $20 at the auto part store. VERY common part and used in most GM's from 60's-90's

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

What's a balast resistor again?
    I have the same problem with my fan.
    -- Mike

4. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

5. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

On the resistor you can pick it up and a junk yard also if your a cheap b*****D like me :P You can find them on most GM trucks and vans don't know about cars didn't look. It is mounted where the heater core housing is under the hood, funny rectangle box with bunch of wires going to it. Just take the old one with you (if you have it mine was gone and they had just shorted the wires) since I found some which had different conectors on them.

Vincent Michels 1978 Blazer
    Http://www.bruiser.coloradok5.com