Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with spring ID

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Dec 12, 2005.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I just got a set of 4" fronts and I need to know what bushings to put in them. I see on ORDs site that there are 2 different spring bushings depending on who made your springs. What is the difference? The ones I have have a large eye in the front and a small eye in the rear. They also have 5 leaves per pack. Dunno if much can be told from this. Also does anyone make a bushing that will fit a 9/16 bolt for the rear eye as well as the frame or do I have to drill out a set.

Thanks

Ira

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i just got my bushings for my springs like this. frt should be gu37011 for the hd shackle kit. and gu37012 for the front big eye kit. my springs were ranchos. and the procomps are like that also.

rancho 4inch 001.jpg

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

What size bolt do u use on the rear eye 1/2 or 9/16.

Ira

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

stock is 7/16 bolt size. ord bumps it to 1/2 bolt.

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

OK I know a couple of guys on here are running 9/16 on all there suspension bolts and I want to do the same thing for no other reason than to have the same bolts for ease of replacements/parts.

Ira

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

This is easier if you use 52"'s up front. Doing 9/16" on the stock fronts is tough as you'll have to cobble together the bushings, and ORD, at least, will get very confused if you try to order such from them.

Ask me why I know this :haha:

That said, note that the 9/16"s up front are wider (5.5") than in the back (5") so you gotta carry two types anyway. (You could use a 5.5" regular bolt as a trail spare, but the regular ones have the nice thick bodies that the bushing rides on instead of just the threads, if that makes sense.)

-- A

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

ORDs site says that one kit is for most brands and the other kit is for superlift and skyjacker. What is the difference. I am pretty sure I have the "most major brand" springs and I need to order soon prolly wont get them by this weekend either any help is appreciated.

Ira

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

The difference is in the size of the bushings for the shackle end of the springs. Just measure it and call ORD.

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

How exact do my measurements have to be I do not have a mic or anything just a tape. And for rear bushings I am going 56s but I do not need the shackle bushing just the spring eyes so I can get either kit correct?

Ira

10. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I just did mine with a machinists ruler. Not very accurate, even though it sounds like it is. I had to measure as i had no idea what the brand of the lift spring was. Found out that they are Skyjacker.

What do you mean by "either kit" ?
    You would just get the parts that you need. Unless i am not understanding your question.

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I guess it does not matter if all of the spring eyes are 1 1/2". There site says that some are 1 3/8 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 but I think they are reffering to the shackle bushing. I only need spring eye bushings, sleeves and bolts for the rear so I guess I do not need a kit.

Ira

12. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

They are reffering to the spring bushing sizes.

13. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

My '90 K5 came stock with a 9/16" bolt in both ends of my spring, the frame bolt was still the wimpy 7/16" IIRC but at least my springs had some beef! I really didn't like how little bushing was left between the spring and the bolt with such a small eye for the spring though, didn't leave a lot of room for flexing and twisting without binding the spring. :doah: