Help with Sputtering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jburd, May 8, 2003.

1. jburd

jburd Registered Member

Dec 19, 2002
    My 87 tbi 305 has started acting up. Well, it was pretty raggedy as it was, but now I have noticed that it will sputter sometimes at acceleration and somtimes at idle. If I give it more gas the sputtering goes away and it only does it every now and then. I did a tune up about three months ago and it has been running ok up to about a week ago. I have done a search and am wondering if it isn't the egr valve. I won't get a chance to check it until Saturday. I have started garaging the blazer lately and have noticed a strong gas smell in the garage. Could this be a symptom of a bad egr valve or just a tired old engine with 125,000 miles on it ? The exhaust smokes white in the mornings for about a minute and then it goes away. Thanks for any help.
  2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Jul 20, 2000
    To test the EGR valve pull the vacume line off and plug the line. If the problem goes away its probabally the EGR solonoid. If the problem still there pull the EGR and clean it out it may be stuck open. make sure it operates smoothly.
    Problem could also be in the Throttle position sensor.
    Have you checked for trouble codes? That is always a good place to start when you have these type of problems. It may save you a bit of work.